New Drum N Bass track for review

hi gabs, nice track, i like it. pls check on the vocal melody and chords key, i think there is a mismatch. also, you can try to put some more effects on the vocals (reverb, EQ, delay) to have them sound nicer, but be carefully, it's quickly overdone. i like the overall positive vibe of your track ,, keep on improving it!

Some nice ideas here, the chords sound cool. As machinistom mentioned, the vocal isn't really in tune though, so maybe try pitching the whole thing or just certain parts of it to make it fit better. I think the lead synth also strays out of key in places. The chords seem to be the foundation of this tune, so I would use them as the reference point for getting everything else in tune.

the drums sound very stop and start. Get some louder hi hats in there to fill the gaps and give it more of a shuffle. add some crashes at the beginning of bars and some reversed cymbals - they'll give it a better flow

I'd lose the vocal/try another tbh but that's just me

Keep at it mate it's a very decent start

Thanks for feedbacking guys, in terms of getting the vocals in key (using logic pro x) is there a way of changing the key of an audio track/file by changing the pitch? If not can you explain how I should change the pitch or would you change the vocals? I guess I was focussing on getting some vocals which fit in terms of length as appose to pitch when making this, shame I didn't realise...

Catalyst thanks for the feedback, do you think the kick n the snare are reasonable on this track and its simply the lack of fills making it stop start? Will try some new hi hats, will increase vol of crashes then add rev cymbals....

anyone able to help with changing the key ? is it best to change the chords key and if so can you help explain how I get them to match the vocals or vice versa

anyone got an opinion on the drums?

Thanks in advance fellas...

Hello,
I think you need to completely drop the vocals.

Here are some steps to getting your track sound better.
1. Start with your snare and bring the volume down to about -12db. Do the same with the kick.
2. Now adjust your hats and/or breaks so that it all sounds like one drum kit. Make sure nothing is to wide on your drums. Your kick and snare should be mono or close to mono, it is good to have your hats a little wide but leaving them in mono won't hurt.

3.Now adjust your bass so that the fundamental sound right and upfront. Eq frequencies out of the bass that conflict with the drums. Make sure your bass is mono until at least 400 to 500 hz. Maybe even wait until 1kHz to give them some width.
4. Get those cool bleeping effects and leads sitting on top of every thing but only in proper proportion to the bass and drums. Again make sure nothing is to wide but these can be wider than almost everything else. Also, eq frequencies out that don't belong and make sure you are high passing these to make room for the bass.

As far as that vocal goes. Best advice is to drop it and re-write a new song for them. I would write a bass line in key with the vocals then build a song up around it but that is just me. What you can do if you must keep it is chop the vocals up in a sampler and tune each individual hit. This will give you a danny bird type effect. Or you can get an auto tuner, but parts of the vocal will sound like that song "I'm on a Boat."

Hi IV4, thanks for the in depth help. regarding the bass being mono until like 400-500 maybe 1k, how do I separate the bass up. For example say I put the spectrum analyser on a bass track and it shows the bass having lows eg starting at 40htz and some highs at over 400. Well how do I split the bass up to make the part above 400/500 in stereo but the lower end part in mono if its part of the same track? Is there a way or am I on the wrong lines?

Hi gabs

If you only have one bassline at the moment, make a copy of it and low pass one to 500, then high pass the other. then you can manipulate them separately.

it's helpful to do this anyway - I personally like having my sub completely separate, even if it started out as the same sound. You can then give it more movement and mess around with it a bit more without compromising your mid bass at the same time.

Catalyst thanks for the feedback, do you think the kick n the snare are reasonable on this track and its simply the lack of fills making it stop start? Will try some new hi hats, will increase vol of crashes then add rev cymbals....

Yes, if anything they might be a bit too loud - try out the method IV4 suggested. always helps in the middle of making a track to go back to basics so all your volumes and EQs don't irreparably run away from you

Let us know how you get on (y)

Hi Catalyst, I'm using around 4 or 5 different baselines. Shall I do the process of making a copy and low/high passing for all of them? Cheers

Hi IV4, thanks for the in depth help. regarding the bass being mono until like 400-500 maybe 1k, how do I separate the bass up. For example say I put the spectrum analyser on a bass track and it shows the bass having lows eg starting at 40htz and some highs at over 400. Well how do I split the bass up to make the part above 400/500 in stereo but the lower end part in mono if its part of the same track? Is there a way or am I on the wrong lines?
It all depends on what daw you use, but there are a ton of ways you can split up a track. Seeing that you have multiple basses for your bass. I would run them all into one channel or track. Then split that track into three new tracks. Make one 0-100hz, the next 100hz to 500hz, then everything on another.

Hi IV4, currently trying to make the improvements. Have made sure the snare master is -11/12 and the kick master was already. I feel with the crashes, reverse crashes, shakers etc that the kick and the snare perhaps dont stand out enough and dont feel as though they are right at the front as much as say pendulums tracks for ref. They are in mono but is this to do with the fills needing some width or is it simply a case of turning their volumes down? I've even added 7% fattness on sausage fattener. I guess it could be that my sub n synth/bleeps are just too loud thinking about it?

Also IV4 any idea in logic how to route my bass mix bus (the one that all 5 basses are sent to) to 3 different busses so can split up the bass. I can only see sending it to one bus?

Back
Top Bottom