new and improved dnbforum production compo?

logikz

I Am Not The King
what do you say? after the fiaso with the last one i think we need to vindicate ourselves and do a new and improved one, do you not agree? with regalia and extravaganzza! there will be prizes and judges and flipping everything this time, trust me. bouncy castle and ice cream and litraly flipping everything. so, good idea or not? whos in? any suggestions as to the concept of the compo? last time we did only sounds you recorded yourself and got some absolutely cracking entries. the time before that we remixed the winner of the compo before that. and it was sample pack before that. its fun you have to admit, and productive, so i for one would participate. but not host, we will get the judges to host.

Cant believe no one has responded to this yet!

It's gonna need to be bigger and better, cos the last attempt held by Phat Sam was a complete washout! People put a lot of effort in, and it kinda just fell apart! Infact, I dont recall there ever being an actual winner of that comp? I remember me and Miszt were judges, and both of us were waiting to get the tracks sent to us for judging, which never happened!

Anyway, if you are looking for a subject for the comp, I'm happy to throw up one of my tracks for remix if ya want it?

I thought i replied to this already lol the suggestion of a Synthesised only comp was put up last time, i like that idea

but yeah, it needs to be organized by someone who has the time to see it thru, was a real shame we didnt get to listen to the final WAV's and come to a decision last time

Just a suggestion, maybe split people up into groups and people submit one sample each to use? Like a few on drums, a few on bass, etc? depending on how many people you get.

Just a suggestion, maybe split people up into groups and people submit one sample each to use? Like a few on drums, a few on bass, etc? depending on how many people you get.

you have allot more faith in the organizational skills of forum members than i do haha

I think a competition for original material would be good, I like to hear peoples different, unique sounds instead of everyone remixing the same tune, just a thought.

Put some serious hours into recording sounds for the last one so yeah it was a shame it just died, but still, getting the most votes in the poll was reward enough:gpeace:

I reckon the brief shouldn't be too limiting cos we have some awesome producers floating around at the minute and it would be good to hear what they can come up with with their full powers available.

Something more open like a style, a theme, an inspiration, a musical reply etc etc. (rather than tin can and goat fart brief)

Put some serious hours into recording sounds for the last one so yeah it was a shame it just died, but still, getting the most votes in the poll was reward enough:gpeace:

I reckon the brief shouldn't be too limiting cos we have some awesome producers floating around at the minute and it would be good to hear what they can come up with with their full powers available.

Something more open like a style, a theme, an inspiration, a musical reply etc etc. (rather than tin can and goat fart brief)

I agree, some sort of broad limitation I think would be far better then limiting to some samples, maybe something like the Good vs. Evil mixing competition that was going on back when I first really started getting active on the forum. You could have two categories good or evil and members could only enter in one or the other. I think it'd be cool! Just an idea.

here's the thread I'm referencing for those who don't remember/know

Last edited:
Also Logikz: something I really think needs to happen for sake of fairness, there should be two results; Peoples Choice and Judges Decision. It shouldn't be too much to ask the judges to listen to each track fully at least once and narrow it down for themselves, and it's more fair on the guy who spends hours on his entry only to find it 17th on a playlist of 17 where you know half the voters are skipping to the drop or have already voted before getting to your tune!

Also this way it opens it up to people to put a bit more subtlety into their work that might not grab the quick listen vote but a judge might notice and appreciate.

Also Logikz: something I really think needs to happen for sake of fairness, there should be two results; Peoples Choice and Judges Decision. It shouldn't be too much to ask the judges to listen to each track fully at least once and narrow it down for themselves, and it's more fair on the guy who spends hours on his entry only to find it 17th on a playlist of 17 where you know half the voters are skipping to the drop or have already voted before getting to your tune!

Also this way it opens it up to people to put a bit more subtlety into their work that might not grab the quick listen vote but a judge might notice and appreciate.

This is a very solid idea!

I'm finding myself more and more dissappointed with these huge K-Mag comps right now, because they always seem to offer rewards and prizes for the "People's choice". That being the track that gets the most favourites or comments! Well I'm not being funny, but Ive entered two of these K-Mag comps now, and Ive always noticed that the tracks that seem to have the most plays / faves / comments on, are usually shit, and all theyve done is rearrange the stems slightly, not putting any effort in at all! But because they are either soundcloud whores, or just have a huge fanboy base they get to be awarded for it!

I know I've just gone off on a bit of a rant, but soundcloud is really pissing me off right now, too many people abusing the system.

Back
Top Bottom