DnB Neurofunk; "Surface Codes" Work in Progress

Fortisimo

Hey all,

Working on a neurofunky kind of track with a somewhat frantic edge to it. It's still a work in progress, but I think it is coming along quite well. I've decided to put some vocals into it; this is the first track I've ever attempted this in. Lyrics and vocals are just me at the moment; not entirely sure with how I've mixed the vocals in so if anyone could provide feedback on that in particular, I'd appreciate it. Thanks, and I hope you enjoy:

The intro sound quite muddy, at least on my busted up PC speakers, the build-up to the drop needs a lot more oomph, I'd cut out most of the drums when the synth does those short glitchy stabs, a bit like right before the vocals. I don't really like this sort of vocals and they sound muddled by the bass, maybe low pass the bass when the vox come in and high pass the vox at about 100hz? Or something?

Some nice details and edits, but not quite feeling the vibes.

Made some tweak; decreased the wet/dry ratio un the intro and beefed it up towards the drop with some sub frequencies. Still needs some more shaping though. Added a filter.to scope out the freqs clashing with the vocals that is tied to a peak controller on the vocals so it will duck that band out of the baseline only when the vocals are present. I thought about making the drums drop out in favor of the stabs at some points but it killed the flow so instead I dropped.the volume/presence of the hats and shakers to make the drums more of a back beat instead of breakbeat and to let the bass stabs take up that high range and make up the quick transient elemeits. Anyways let.me know what you think guys. Thanks for listening!

i think its soudning good. the synth stabs are very acidy, which gets a bit repetitive after a while, maybe switch them up a bit? the bass is sounding crunchy tho. keep going with it. also, i think the vocals sit well!

The high synth might do with some variation in the first section of the "dropcallitwhateveruwant" as Cartel mentioned (I think that where the sound you thought of atleast). Your bass sounds are perhaps a bit too distorted for me, altho I enjoy the crunchyness of it. Some of your gliding sounds doesnt seam to fit the flow sometimes if you know what I mean, might need some envelope adjustments. But I think overall its a good piece so dont get me wrong, im just trying to point out the things that didnt sit right with me! Keep at it :bounce:

Hey guys! Thanks for the constructive feedback. I agree the first drop needs more variation overall esp the stabs. Jiimpa could you give me an example of where the sliding part doesn't match (timestamp)? Thanks you have both been very helpful.

It's when it does the triple thingy that comes in now and then, 1.48 for example. I dont know.. it just something about it that sounds dodgey. Glad I could be of help!

the intro synth touches on being glitchy but it should get way more glitchy. and then take it out and find a way to layer it when the drums drop. that bass synth needs to be front and center.

i like how the drums really open things up. definitely work on that drum mix to get those drums hot. great bass synth. bring it up and play with it. make some glitchy synths add turnarounds and little pieces of interest throughout.

Back
Top Bottom