Neurofunk General

rysk

Part-time waster
VIP Junglist
Discussion and tune posting. Old and new....'techstep' is also allowed :teeth: but don't get me started on trying to define the difference.

some personal favorites

what does the word 'neurofunk' mean to you?

Last edited by a moderator:
good answer....but did you think of that tune because of the literal 'funk' elements?

To be totally honest...and i know i'll probably get some neg rep for this...most of noisias stuff i wouldn't call neurofunk...but like, techstep taken up to 11, and then breaking the dial to get to 12. I also heard they don't like the word 'neurofunk'.

they're still undoubtedly my favourite though.

- - - Updated - - -

PS. Double drop concussion with stigma for maximum swag.

i dont actually know the difference between neurofunk and techstep

one is dark and techy and industrial

one is techy and funky and headfucky

that's just my take on it, i'm sure others would disagree.

inb4 rabble rabble subgenres are silly rabble rabble

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty much, any time I see the word 'neurofunk' that's what I think of.

personally, i think the 'funk' in neurofunk is about the groove...and the similarity it has to original funk music in that it doesnt have to have meaning...it just has to be fucking groooooovey. And there's also the breakbeats, but that's a given.

so theyre very similar.. im just gonna say techy, like i always have cos neurofunk is a lame name

so theyre very similar.. im just gonna say techy, like i always have cos neurofunk is a lame name

yeah fair enough, when i'm just talking about techy tunes in general then that's the word i use.

But neurofunk when i'm talking about something specific...only a handful of producers have really nailed it imo...5 at most. It is a bit of a lame name, but it suits it perfectly imo....'brainfunk'

1. Neurofunk is a terrible word and the world would be a sweeter place without it
2. Sinthetix...

:)

in my eyes, neurofunk is the slightly newer stuff, ala neonlight, billain etc something like this

for me techstep it's the slightly older tunes from around 1998 - 2002, where a lot of it had a more defined steppy style beat.
the perfect example in my eyes

either way it's pointless arguing about definitions etc, just post good tunes!

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO Sleepwalk defines what neurofunk is to me. The closest thing I've heard to that lately is the new Andy Pain and Z Connection LP. Too many people make bass movements for the sake of showing what they can do. Instead they should be like a musical conversation.

All that really hard Billain and Noisia stuff isn't neurofunk IMO. Their tunes are sterile excercises in sound design. They certainly aren't funky.

The old No U Turn and Future Forces stuff isn't really tech step either and wasn't called tech step at the time. It certainly doesn't sound like techno.

All that really hard Billain and Noisia stuff isn't neurofunk IMO. Their tunes are sterile excercises in sound design. They certainly aren't funky.

u wot m8?

billain and noisia are ultimate groove makers imo....and imo, that's where the funk comes from.

listen to the first tune i posted in this thread...especially at 2:35...that is future funk if i've ever heard it.

Back
Top Bottom