Neuro/ warp/ evil bass.. anyone know how to make this sort of sound?

tainted beats

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrfwXOsUm8M&feature=channel_video_title

So i heard this, and now i really want to know how to make a similar sort of sound.
I mean the bass that starts at 1:28.

Ive had a little play about but havnt had much luck so far. Anyone know much about how to go about making these sounds? or can point me in the right direction.

Really appreciate any help with this.

- Another example of the sort of thing im after. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRVKb2VJYiA
at 1:54.. that warp sound

Peace

Last edited:
Yeah, you're basically asking how to be a good DnB producer by asking how to make a bassline that good mate...start working. :)

Try running some similar Reese samples through a granular synth and see what you can come up with too.

Last edited:
distorted saws, low pass filters, notch filters, and lots of practice!

thanks for the reply bro. Closest ive got is using 2 saw.. 1 of them -1 octave, a phase with an LFo..then a scream filter with an LFO and an LFO on the wavable positions of the oscilators. It just doesnt have as much of that warping sound. This is going to take some time haha if i can get close enough il post how i did.

---------- Post added at 22:42 ---------- Previous post was at 22:40 ----------

Yeah, you're basically asking how to be a good DnB producer by asking how to make a bassline that good mate...start working. :)

Try running some similar Reese samples through a granular synth and see what you can come up with too.

I can make basslines no problem.. its that particular sort of sound im after though.

The other posters nailed it on the head pretty much... you may also want to look into frequency splitting =) I find it helps to get nasty sounds without trashing the sound completely. If you don't have a notch filter plugin you can also use a parametric eq with 1 band turned down and assign an LFO to the frequency of that band... That way you also can adjust the bandwidth of the notch and you can have multiple notches running from 1 EQ =)

LFO could work but I suggest trying out some modulation via envelope too, I find envelopes to be endlessly useful for getting a sound to sound warpy.

yea i agree, envelope filters let you be much more percise with the sound. Im thinking maybe a mix of a few envelopes set with different attacks controling the filter cut off might give it that warp sound.

resample. record a filter sweep on a reece, load it up in place of that reece and see what that sounds like. remember volume slides is just as important as filter action, a little known fact about warpy bass, so you fade one reece into another and get a link of sounds together like that. that royal flash track is a one note kind of bassline which i think lets it down a little, so do try and write a melody as well as warps. is my suggestion.

I would create a wave with distortion and gain on the resonant frequencies, having two waves out of phase always creates a nice bit of movement.
resample a long note then bus to 3 channels, low mid high (make sure low bus is mono)
Add envolop filters and low frequency oscillators to create more movement with the filter , reverb phaze more distortion on mid and high frequencies.
your notes dont want to be too melodic and dont be scared just to use one note.

Try using granular synth as StrifeII said and automate some knobs it can sound really sick,also i find very useful linking some parameters to xy controller in fl to pitch,lfo,flanger,phaser and than controlling it with mouse movement it can produce very good stuff...and also try live recording when doing this because it is hard to make same sound with using this method..and i wouldn't be good to focus on recreating same bassline try making something even better xD...

Try farting into a microphone, the squelchier the fart the better, then apply a flux capacitor to the high end, distort the low end a little and Robert's your father's brother. HTH

I would create a wave with distortion and gain on the resonant frequencies, having two waves out of phase always creates a nice bit of movement.
resample a long note then bus to 3 channels, low mid high (make sure low bus is mono)
Add envolop filters and low frequency oscillators to create more movement with the filter , reverb phaze more distortion on mid and high frequencies.
your notes dont want to be too melodic and dont be scared just to use one note.

this helped a lot.. although i found that if you just make a dirty sound with a synth rather than sampling and use different timed lfo's on frequency bands you can still play a melody with the sound

Ive got a sound im happy with now.. the bass that starts at 1.53.. just used lots of phase/chorus and about 5 lfo's and envelopes set to control different frequencies

---------- Post added at 16:34 ---------- Previous post was at 16:32 ----------

Try farting into a microphone, the squelchier the fart the better, then apply a flux capacitor to the high end, distort the low end a little and Robert's your father's brother. HTH
haha funny that.. my brother once actually did sample a fart! sounded squelchy indeed

Back
Top Bottom