Network Rail forces closure of prestigious underground club, Cable

One of London's biggest nightclubs, Cable in London Bridge, has been forced to close with the loss of 70 jobs as landlords Network Rail took possession for the redevelopment of London Bridge station.

The 1,300 capacity venue in SE1 has exploded in popularity and reputation, to become one of London's top three club brands alongside Ministry of Sound and Fabric. Cable, and sister venue Relay which has also been closed, boasted over 300,000 fans in 100 countries to their online radio & TV channels and has played host to thousands of today’s most prolific Electronic Dance Music DJs, artists and producers.

Since opening in 2009 Cable has drawn over 700,000 clubbers to the venue, building a reputation for its cutting edge line-ups, incredible sound system and warehouse vibe. Following Network Rail’s closure, the release of Cable’s first compilation albums, and the launch of their DJ agency and global events divisions have had to be shelved.

Six years ago, Cable founder Euan Johnston - who also founded the legendary SeOne venue in Weston Street - was approached by Network Rail with a proposal to develop a series of derelict, leaking and uninhabitable arches located on the most fashionable street in London - Bermondsey Street - situated 500 metres from London Mayor, Boris Johnson's office, and a stones throw from The Shard.

Having been given assurances by Network Rail that the space would not be affected by the regeneration of London Bridge station, Cable invested millions in the development of the venue and launch of the brand only to be told some years later that plans had changed.

After one division of Network Rail actively encouraged the development of the space, another division approved plans to build emergency stairs directly through the middle of the venue. Network Rail had other options for the staircases available to them, but chose the only option that would destroy the club.

Euan Johnston, Director at Cable, said: "We are totally shocked and devastated that this could have happened. We were assured when we moved in that we would not be affected by the redevelopment and Network Rail have simply changed their minds – the worst thing is there is nothing we can do to prevent it. We have invested a huge amount of time and energy developing the space and growing Cable as a brand, not to mention employing 70 staff who now face redundancy.”

Cable has tried every means possible to reach a compromise with Network Rail in the hope they would change plans and avoid closure of the club, culminating in issuing a Judicial Review against the entry notice which is yet to be determined. However the possession could not be prevented and Network Rail arrived in force on 1st May with bailiffs equipped with battering rams and angle grinders in preparation to force entry. The directors and shareholders are committed to continue the fight for justice as a result of the destruction of Cable carried out by Network Rail.

“The way Network Rail have treated us is a disgrace, we have been brushed aside by people from Network Rail at every level right up to Chief Executive Sir David Higgins” added Mr Johnston. “They simply don’t care and are not interested in having any meaningful discussion at all, they are apparently the country’s biggest small business landlord, but let this be a warning to other tenants of Network Rail that whatever agreement you have with them may mean nothing if they want to bulldoze you”

Cable was officially notified on 1st April 2011 by Network Rail that the cable site is to be included in the redevelopment of London Bridge despite the previous assurances given by Network Rail that the club would not be affected.

Cable’s closure is a further blow to London’s clubbing culture after other key clubs such as Turnmills, SeOne, The End and The Cross were all closed due to developers. London is short of top-quality underground clubs, which are an essential boost to culture and tourism at a time when Electronic Music is exploding worldwide. Visitor numbers to cities such as Berlin have surged due to their uber-cool club scene and the city of Zurich actively promotes its underground clubbing scene alongside established culture in a global TV campaign, yet the UK authorities seem content to let this important part of British culture be resigned to the history books.

Exclusive Video: Smashing up the dancefloor - Network Rail take possession of Cable

Just seen that video, network rail are complete cunts, not even answering one of the questions posed at them.

may not have been the end but was integral for underground music in London.

but imagine if that happened to fabric

id fucking chain myself to the door

id fucking chain myself to the door

And i'd be there with you mate.

Loved cable. Was such a decent journey (25 mins door to door with about 2 mins of walking). Then you get inside and your met with nothing but good vibes.

At least it was closed because of a police raid or bankruptcy or anything though. Theres worse ways for a club to go out of business.

Cable just need to move Simples ;D.

Surely if you were assured they wouldnt want the property back you must have had that in writing? Youve invested a shit tonne of money because you were under the impression the space would remain yours for the forseeable future.

I'd demand to be compensated for everything youve paid, and i'd also encourage all of your (ex)employee's to take legal action against network rail.

its all a load of bollocks, was deffinately a main player in the nightclub scene. i just hope the guys at cable realise that the people support them, and i don't doubt for a second that if they find a new venue, their reputation will follow them along with the crowds!

It's too bad there wasn't a campaign before this happened to twat the officials. Not much we can do but moan when the clubs already closed and gutted. :(

All we can do is create awareness that what has happened is wrong. Just keep the cable vibe alive, post some sets/videos that have been recorded at Cable (old and new). We must not let this just flourish away. Cable could at least stay alive on the net to create impact or go even more public about the situation. I know I am sounding like a twat and I don't live in the UK but we must unite at least digitally. The damage yes has been done but what we can do is create damage to NR (but not being revengeful obviously). It was a club that really made an impact on the net to foreigners like me along with Fabric. I am just really sad about this :( Maybe if we do this things might turn out for good :)

- - - Updated - - -

I'd demand to be compensated for everything youve paid, and i'd also encourage all of your (ex)employee's to take legal action against network rail.

If they don't get compensated now that would really enrage everyone.

Room 1

945656_10152770554410582_540294635_n.jpg

big shame

never got the chance to go to Cable.. :(

luckily ive been to Fabric and went to The End many times..

I wish we could of known about the repossession at the time it was going on.

I could of dug out and dusted off my old super-soaker, and filled it up with bodily fluids. Now that's a proper drive-by shooting

Fuck you Network Rail. Fuck you Margaret Thatcher

Back
Top Bottom