Needles

djspex

I need to buy myself a pair of needles to save damaging my brother's expensive ones. I know nothing about needles, so would appreciate a few pointers.....

Thanks.

I use Shure M447 and they are fuckin indesructable...they are chunky and weighty..

ShureM44-7mainimage.gif

but mate it all depends on what u use em for, i use mine for scratchin and general noisy behavior...

but i think these are a decent all round needle n all

use to use theses n all...they were beltin needles...ortofon...top sound quality

OrtofonOMProSmainimage.gif

http://www.djdeals.co.uk/prod-details.asp?AID=725

Last edited:
Yeah I use ortofon pro s, but I've got the concorde's, easier tracking, same great sound quality and easier to set up as you don't use a headshell...

There's better out there, like the sure electro's etc, but I aint made of money and these were fairly cheap and replacing the stylus don't cost the earth... Good needles I reckon, not for scratching though!

images

Last edited:
I have always used Ortofon Concordes and I just recently bought the Q-Bert Ortofon styluses as well.

ortofon.jpg

They are the complete opposite of The Shure M447.

They are lightweight and slim, they are good for find grooves or markers quickly like for Scratching/Beat Juggling. I have had my carts for over 5 years now, so they are durable as well.

Hope this help.

Peeece

Last edited:
Yeah I've been using Concordes, but can't afford to replace them if I break them. I'd like a decent all-rounder that can suffer the abuse of a beginner. Why aren't the Concordes any good for scratching? I have noticed they occasionally skip, but assumed that was my fault.

I reckon I can afford about £30-35 for a pair, which my bro said should be enough, but that website would suggest otherwise......

Last edited:
Yeah I use ortofon pro s, but I've got the concorde's, easier tracking, same great sound quality and easier to set up as you don't use a headshell...

There's better out there, like the sure electro's etc, but I aint made of money and these were fairly cheap and replacing the stylus don't cost the earth... Good needles I reckon, not for scratching though!

images

Snap!

Yeah I've been using Concordes, but can't afford to replace them if I break them. I'd like a decent all-rounder that can suffer the abuse of a beginner. Why aren't the Concordes any good for scratching? I have noticed they occasionally skip, but assumed that was my fault.

I reckon I can afford about £30-35 for a pair, which my bro said should be enough, but that website would suggest otherwise......

For that price, assuming you got a headshell (bit that the cart bolts into) then I'd go with some Stanton 500AL or equivalent.

I've got M44-7's as well because my Concord DJ S just ate needles like there was no tomorrow! Sound quality is worse but only by a negligible amount.

shures, hands down. The needles track really good and give a really beefy sound. I have used them for years, and could not complain about them in any way.

I have heard some horror stories of ortofon's pushing in your contacts inside the tone arm. You wont notice it has pushed them in until you try to use different needles, and then you will get a sketchy connection. Other than that ortofon's give a really clean sound.

OK, so one of my needles broke the other day, and so i need to buy a new one. Just wondering if i should get 2 new needles instead of just replacing one, because im worried about there being a noticable difference in sound quality between the two, as currently 1 of the needles is just some standard one that came with my decks, and the needle im looking to buy is the PRO S Concorde Cartridge by Ortofon.

Is it worth getting the 2? cheers for the help.

do you think its worth getting a set to scratch with and set to mix with ?

anyone know any good middle ground needles?

are the shure's any good to mix with ?

cheers

Just get the shure's mate. You can mix fine with them! Difference in SQ between M44 7's and Ortofon is not MASSIVE. You probs won't notice it at all unless you're using a high end amp & speakers anyway.

Back
Top Bottom