needle skips heavy jump up/neuro only

Wells

i had my tonearms set up balanced and weighted as i saw in tutorials, which was fine for most of my tracks, however the harder jump up and tech records were skipping alot so i tried increasing the weight on the arms which helped a bit, even reversing the weights and putting them on max weight possible. but the tracks still skip at parts, can someone help me set these up properly

i used stanton 500als and just replaced the styli.

Might have the anti-skip / height set up wrong.

Could be anything though really...

is the vinyl scratched??
are your speakers close and powerful makin it jump?

its definitely not scratched records, but i think you might be onto something with the speaker vibrations

EDIT:

just checked with speakers off and listening through headphones it still skips, so its something to do with the tonearm setup.

can someone give a step by step guide, as im obviously missing something here.

Last edited:
Might be the new stylii... sometimes they are too stiff and need breaking in a bit. If I remember correctly one way to speed this up is to leave them rested in the groove of a record overnight (turntable switched off).

Also were they official stanton stylii cause some of the aftermarket ones are shit

i followed the youtube tonearm setup and it still skips, breaking in the styli now. theyre not authentic styli i dont think, does that make all the difference?

Yeah the records are clean, I just bought them off of redeye so there shouldnt be any problems with it.

---------- Post added at 17:03 ---------- Previous post was at 16:56 ----------

Yeah the records are clean, I just bought them off of redeye so there shouldnt be any problems with it.

mixing on sl1200s

Stanton-500-a.JPG

stanton 500al mk1

I have noticed that most of the tracks that have this problem are from my last batch of vinyl from redeye, and I can play other jump up tunes ive bought earlier from shops and redeye before, but the records look allright and if anything look cleaner and in better shape than the others

mixing on sl1200s

Stanton-500-a.JPG

stanton 500al mk1

I have noticed that most of the tracks that have this problem are from my last batch of vinyl from redeye, and I can play other jump up tunes ive bought earlier from shops and redeye before, but the records look allright and if anything look cleaner and in better shape than the others

you sure they're not warped slightly, if something heavy had been put on top of your order in the sorting house, it may have made all the records slightly uneven and that could be the reason for skipping

I think you maybe right, that would make sense with how its all in one batch too, i will quickly check

Make sure the anti skid dial is set to 0.

Make sure your decks are level by adjusting the feet on the bottom.

If you've done this and everything else mentioned in this thread and they still skip then there must be something wrong with the records in question. Either they are warped or scratched causing the needle to jump.

Make sure the anti skid dial is set to 0.

NO!
the anti skating is not something you set to a certain value, otherwise why is it there? it has a purpose.
it needs to be calibrated like everything else. can be done with a blank vinyl if you have a single sided tune, flip it over and make use of it.

back on topic, my moneys on your vinyls being warped.
here is some set up vids for ya, if you still having probelms then i have no idea!

Last edited by a moderator:
think its the warping, ive set up perfectly 3 times over.

one is visably warped and i can see it slightly on the others, in the case that redeye dont refund/replace is there a viable way of fixing the warpage?

think its the warping, ive set up perfectly 3 times over.

one is visably warped and i can see it slightly on the others, in the case that redeye dont refund/replace is there a viable way of fixing the warpage?

various theories on repairing warped vinyls but tbh i have not heard of anyone doing any of them with any sucess.
i'm still baffled by ur situation tho coz i have some records with very visible warps, they ride the table like a ferry on a choppy day and they still do not skip.

yeah thats also true, i do have some other warped waxes which play fine.

trust me ive been baffled for weeks, but its probly just a combo of all my gear having something slightly wrong with it in one way or another

Back
Top Bottom