Need vocal, mcing and vocal tune advice

Dustek

Finished the PhD
VIP Junglist
Okay, I've got a shitload of dark or jazzy or atmospheric or minimal or freaky tunes - the but I need tunes to get non drumheads on the floor.

I like to introduce people to jungle when I play (mostly don't play for junglists but for people looking for something different to house) but the current cutting edge wave of jungle is inaccesible to novices (excellent but inaccesible). I'm not criticizing the music - so don't jump on me with this. I may be wrong, but I admit my ignorance.

As far as I can see, non drummies need vocals, samples or melody lines that they can recognize. Especially if they're pilled up or sozzled. I'm playing to people who listen to house (progressive house - JESUS CHRIST), trance and other crap but would like to change over - so I need to be gentle with them.

People take the piss out of Aphrodite, Ezrollers and Kosheen but their stuff gets girls on the floor and headnodders from the corners. Sounds all the same after a while but once you've got people on the floor you can hit them with something a little better.

So, I some advice on quality albums, compilations or dj sets - vinyl or cd - with slower beats (160bpm) and rolling basslines, recognizable samples, mcing or vocals. I've taken a look at the female vocal thread and got some singles from that list - but I do need more bang for my buck.

Calibre & Singing Fats - Drop It Down
High Contrast - Bassment Track
High Contrast - Return Of Forever

to name but a few :D

for non dnb headz your best bet would probably be chilled out liquid funk.

Thanks -

Got the High Contrast tracks already - however what I'm looking for are albums, comps and EPs with sets of tracks. I don't want to go after singles - my budget is stretched on dark side selectas already.

Shy FX & T Power released a decent varied album about two years ago, name escapes me tho... Wasnt all dnb either, a lot of downtempo stuff on there too

If you liked the High Contrast stuff then you could check his LPs 'True Colours' or 'High Society' (or really any of the albums on Hospital, theyre all quality)

If your set on getting vocal stuff, keep an eye out for anything with Jenna G on it. One of the best vocalists in the scene imo.

I know theyre often looked down on, but maybe keep an eye out for some bootlegs too, occasionally a decent one pokes through the pile of wank. One example which would probably suit house heads would be Ed Rush & Optical's remix of 'French Kiss'...

Back
Top Bottom