Need to learn how to read and play music from scratch can you guys suggest some sites

n.minas

Hello everyone,

So i am entering the the realm of music production but i have little to no knowledge of how to read sheet music and this is becoming a problem for me. Although i can create good sounding melodies from within piano roll i wanted more feeling in my music so i turned to a cheap midi keyboard but i feel a little incompetent. This is because i left school at a very early age and have never been taught any kind of music.

So to the point anyway what i really want to know is how to read music so i can practice and build a comfort level with this keyboard. The only problem is every search i do in Google it either gives me just the sheet music or loads of sites that you are required to pay.

So if any of you guys know of a site that allows you to learn how to read music, play music and possibly also show examples so that i know what the tune is suppose to sound like in the first place would you please point me in the right direction please.

If you have any tips at all on where to start really it would be great especially if it involves a Hands On Type of approach.

Regards

nick

Re: Need to learn how to read and play music from scratch can you guys suggest some s

all you need to learn is scales and three chords for each scale im not gonna go into detail but i will list the basics how i work( but if it sounds good and its against the rules go with it ;) basically a scale comprises of 8 notes and usually goes up and then back down the keyboard/ piano.most dnb is written in minor scales as major scales sound too much like happy hardcore melodys :teeth: and thats not what you want when trying to make somethin dark or serious, so i will explain the natural minor scales so that you will know them all and their related chords, the tonal pattern (the amount of space between the keys you press ie 1 semi tone is 1 key or the next key, 2 semi tones = 2 keys or miss a key then hit the next) in order to find a scale in which you would like to work is very easy, and goes as follows,
say you would like to make a song in the key of b minor natural, there are two other minor scales but imo they dont have too much difference. basically in your midi sequencer you would put a midi note on b in any ocatve, then this part is really easy really
do it in 8th notes so you can hear it clearly and quite quickly too. so from b you would miss a note (the middle note c is the next one up) and put a note on c#. this is and interval of one tone, then from there we would hit the next note, wich would be d, this interval is a semi tone, then you would miss a note again, then press the next note e, (tone) then you would miss a note and hit f#(ttone) then press the next note g (semitone) then miss a note and press the next note wich is a ( tone) then again miss a note and press the next which is b(tone again) thats the complete minor scale for b. the scale is determined simply by the not you started on, so the minor scale is just this pattern up your keyboard ,hit a key (scale starts), miss next key, hit following key, hit following key, miss a key, hit following key, miss a key, hit following key, hit following key, miss a key, hit next key, miss a key, hit following key, or in tones and semitones= tone, tone, semitone, tone, tone, semitone, tone, tone.

once you have a midi file with this in b or whatever key you started with you can make anyscale you want in the natural minor, if you want to make your song in d minor simply move all the notes so that the bottom note starts on the d instead of the b (or transpose down however you want it put) once you learn this making powerful chord progressions is easy too, (a chord being a series of notes played simmultaniously in harmony with each other:).

like scales chords are determined by their root note, in exactly the same way that a scale is determined by its root note.(the root note is simply the one at the bottom. now in every scale there are three main relative chords, once you have worked the scales out your laughing because this is really the easy part. so you have the scale of bminor (natural) B,C#,D,E,F#,G,A,B.
the relative chords fall on the same three notes on every scale and by this i mean the root note will fall on these three notes in every scale, the 1st, the 4th, and the 5th. so for b minor the chords would be B minor ( which is basically hit a key in the scale starting on b, miss a key in the scale, so skip C#, hit a key, D, miss a key,E, and hit a key, F#.) then E minor, hit E, miss F#, hit G, miss A, hit B. and f# minor, hit F# , miss G, hit A, miss B, hit C#. so its really quite simple and uncomplicated, and works the same in any scale. so choose a note and follow what was said in the first part. then if you want to use some good chords for that scale find the first note of the scale, the fourth note of the scale and the fith note of the scale and follow step two, hope this helps over and out:teeth:

Last edited:
Re: Need to learn how to read and play music from scratch can you guys suggest some s

can you tell me what the pattern is for major scales too??? that was really helpful by the way I've always wanted someone to just put it in basic terms like that - thanks so much -

Last edited:

tone tone semitone tone tone tone semitone ;)

just been having a look at this (minor scales) and I can only get chords to work on the 1st 4th or 5th if they start on a non sharp/falt note ( a white one) is this as it should as sometimes the 4th or 5th falls on a sharp or flat and no chords start with these notes (am I right or just talking rubbish or just stating the obvious!!

no, chords CAN start on sharps and flats ;)
follow it if your strugglin i will put a midi file up, but basically each scale has a different three chords so if your fallin on sharps it means the scale has chords that will inadvertandly start with that just go with it and play
i assure you you will hear what im on about :D

Last edited:

coolio I assume when you say chords your meaning 1st 3rd and 5th notes starting on the 1st 4th or 5th note of the scale your playing?? plus what are the chords called then that inadvertandly start on these flats or sharps - been looking at chord charts and can't find them anywhere..............and finally thanks loads again!!

they are there check guitar chords its exactly the same and you should find them really haha here is a midi file ;) may explain everything you need really just transpose up and down and you will see how to use this theory to build nice melodys and chord progressions
load a piano and let the midi file play then highlight all notes in the file and play about transposing and listen carefully to the change of feel :) i would also like to mention you really should experiment with it, but with inversions of chords scales there is an endless number of possibilities ;) the list of usable melodys will go on infinately :) i also added a little melody for you to play around with just try transposing the notes as that will give you a good indicator as to wich scales you may want to use,

https://www.yousendit.com/download/cmczZGVaYUlsamNLSkE9PQ

as for the chords :)

http://playpiano.com/101-tips/4-minor-chords.htm

as you will see plenty of piano chords start and end with a sharp or flat ;) NOW PLAY:teeth:

coolio I assume when you say chords your meaning 1st 3rd and 5th notes starting on the 1st 4th or 5th note of the scale your playing?? plus what are the chords called then that inadvertandly start on these flats or sharps - been looking at chord charts and can't find them anywhere..............and finally thanks loads again!!

and yes you would be correct

thanks again you are a true gent and you have majorly helped in a few posts - I've already had a tune signed but always made tunes from ear not really knowing what I'm doing so now I will be more confident!!..............hopefully :)

no problem mate but i will say this the rules arnt just to be stuck to as if you make something that sounds good, it will just sound good it doesnt have to militarily stick to the rules and im happy to have helped a bit this is only a vaugue insight though i may go deeper but its just a bit long to do today :) maybe soon i will motivate myself to do it :teeth: but i find these solid guidlines to get started and it improved my tunes immediately i think:D and congrats mate on the signing ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom