Need some help

Discussion in 'Production' started by graffitizax, Sep 9, 2012.

1. graffitizax

graffitizax Hauntr

hey guys, i was wondering whether an audio interface or external soundcard would help with the sound issues you get from running too many plugins? i dont know much about this stuff and i know its a cpu problem but i was wondering whether it would help in someway or is there nothing you can do apart from upgrading your processor cheers

2. Elzerk

Elzerk 00111100 00110011

I'm not sure, but you can save cpu by turning samplerate down, or the buffering length, another way is rendering finished sounds so you don't have to have effect chains eating your cpu.

3. graffitizax

graffitizax Hauntr

thing is i want to run maschine as a plugin if i have that open as well as pretty much any thing else it starts fucking up so bouncing shit dosnt help :/

4. piff squad

piff squad New Member

its your RAM, most computers come with only 4Gb but if you put another 4Gb in you will be able to handle way more plugins

5. MKULTRA.

MKULTRA. Member

To use more than 4gb of ram he would need a 64bit PC. There not very common either. 32bit PCs can only handle 4gb of ram.

6. graffitizax

graffitizax Hauntr

i got a laptop so i dont think i can install any more ram on it its 6 gb already tho

7. Dom!Reavers!

Dom!Reavers! Member

32bit pc's = 3gb max.

Also its a common misconception that you need loads of RAM for music production. Ram is used to hold data in memory temporarily so it can be used frequently and speedily for a while. Most plugs will consume your cpu as they use algorithms etc. Multi sampled instruments however can be hungry on RAM as a large number of samples are used, therefore more stuff to load into RAM. I got an i5 750 (quad core) overclocked with 4gb's of nice DDR3 RAM and I very very rarely hear any glitching even on huge projects with loads of tracks and plugs.

get an interface. what the interface will do is deal with the playback and recording of sound instead of your cpu, letting the stress off of your cpu, meaning more stability. :)

cheers

8. Elzerk

Elzerk 00111100 00110011

Yes, new soundcard will let you hear everything more precisely, even let you have more in and outputs, definitely must have when producing.

9. DJWhizzkidd

DJWhizzkidd Member

A soundcard won't help you run more plugins. It's a CPU issue.

A good soundcard will give you lower latency and better drivers, which may in theory help things run a bit better, but I doubt it would have any noticeable impact.

You either need to upgrade your CPU or become more efficient in your working ( use sends, bounce tracks down to audio etc etc)

10. graffitizax

graffitizax Hauntr

thats weird i got a quad core with 6gb of ram and im getting really bad sound issues, i have to bounce everything, sometimes i could have no plugins loaded at all but when i load massive or maschine it starts fucking up, maybe theres a bigger problem?

11. Elzerk

Elzerk 00111100 00110011

The software isn't pirated, right?

12. DJWhizzkidd

DJWhizzkidd Member

Yes, you either have some settings wrong somewhere (buffer size possibly) or you have some other serious system issue (viruses, too many background programs running, dodgy cracked software etc etc).

13. neddez

neddez Member

gotta disagree with you there man. i was trying to mix a track (so had only stems loaded, no plugs) and i ran out of ram :(... maybe too many stems lol

id say you'd want 4gigs MINIMUM. its so cheap nowadays anyway

also i7-3770 with 16gigs DDR3 bitchezzzzzzzzz

also noob tip but important: for people having buffer issues, clicks/pops etc, make sure you're using ASIO drivers and if you're not, get on that shit

14. lostnthesound

lostnthesound Burns Easily in the Sun

/\ All of this, and will reiterate that 4GB of RAM should be the minimum (Though Windows 32bit is limited to 3GB).

Having said that, consider upgrading to Windows 64bit so you can max out your RAM. It will make a difference assuming you're using a motherboard/chipset that's not greater than 5 years old (which is being generous if you take into account Moore's Law).

If you're still experiencing issues, consider either freezing (or bouncing) the tracks hogging your computer's resources or consider purchasing a new computer (or building your own).

Cheers.

15. Paul Ashmore

Paul Ashmore Audio Animals Mastering

Something that may be worth noting if you are running your daw on 100% of your cpu and say all 4 of your processor this doesn't leave much cpu for your operating system to run and other programs to run that will run in the background. Try to leave a processor spare just for your Os and other programs this will stop a lot of CPU spikes that come from outside your daw.