Need some help with hardware synths for deep/dark dnb

Rubs90

KeyControl
VIP Junglist
Looking to invest on my first hardware synth for deep/dark dnb. I know a lot of software synths can achieve sounds which are similar but I'm looking mostly for the hands-on approach. Now as it stands my budget ranges from £200-400, but naturally this includes the possibility of saving. These are the suggestions I've heard and gatheres from looking around so far:

- Novation Minibrute
- Novation Bass Station 2
- M-Audio Venom
- Mikro Korg

And of course there's always the Access Virus TI, although it's a bit out of my price range. Now my question is, to make the kind of dnb I'm trying to make is it worth waiting months for an Access Virus TI (and we're talking a bit of time here, I'm doing an internship and getting paid fuck all) or can one of these other synths achieve what I'm trying to achieve for now. Is there a massive sonic distinction between these synths, or is it just added functionality? Will one of the previous Access Virus models help me achieve this in a cheaper fashion? I only have a very basic knowledge of the synth market which is making this decision very complicated for me, if you can help make it easier for me I'd be very thankful!

If you're curious about the kind of sound I'm trying to achieve think Dispatch, Critical, Proximity, etc.

Also I know a great thing would be to go in store and test them myself but it seems they have gone extinct in London, at least from what I've gathered.

I'd definitely say a virus is worth the money if you can wait that long.
And older virus models will work just as fine, they just lack that "Total Integration" the newer models have, which is worth the extra money imo.

If you want to get hands on with synthesis, i'd recommend getting yourself a Nord, and then later on a Virus, the nord will teach you allot and give you an a huge array of sound to play with.

Yeah, look to the second hand market too man, I got all my synths off ebay and haven't had a problem with them at all. There's some ti snow's going right now.

Also look in to the roland gaia, those things are pretty badass.

Yeah, look to the second hand market too man, I got all my synths off ebay and haven't had a problem with them at all. There's some ti snow's going right now.

Also look in to the roland gaia, those things are pretty badass.

Yeah I've been looking at second hands as well but even there the snow is a bit out of my range

I'd definitely say a virus is worth the money if you can wait that long.
And older virus models will work just as fine, they just lack that "Total Integration" the newer models have, which is worth the extra money imo.

Isn't the Total Integration just a software for the DAW? If so, are there no major differences other than that? If that's the case I might go for one of the older models.

Isn't the Total Integration just a software for the DAW? If so, are there no major differences other than that? If that's the case I might go for one of the older models.

Yeah the TI basically opens up a VST in your DAW (acronym central there), so you can do the editing, getting a Virus C is a good bet, they can go for quite cheap second hand and are amazing.

Do you have an audio interface, cables and all that jazz? First time I decided to get everything I totally forgot about the cost of cables, especially as I have a lot of stuff to link up!

The more oscillators the better, basically you can achieve any sound with any synth. Imo you can't go wrong with the bass station 2 !!!

Yeah the TI basically opens up a VST in your DAW (acronym central there), so you can do the editing, getting a Virus C is a good bet, they can go for quite cheap second hand and are amazing.

Do you have an audio interface, cables and all that jazz? First time I decided to get everything I totally forgot about the cost of cables, especially as I have a lot of stuff to link up!

That settles it, I'm going for an older model, thanks for the help mate! Yeah I do have the audio interface and the cables but thanks for the reminder, definitely something you overlook with the excitement of buying a synth.

To be honest, the virus is good but there are better synths around. I like to build sounds from scratch and modulation with the virus can be a bit tedious. Make sure you read the manual if you do buy one. I've used a virus ti and I think it is very expensive for what is essentially, a controller

To be honest, the virus is good but there are better synths around. I like to build sounds from scratch and modulation with the virus can be a bit tedious. Make sure you read the manual if you do buy one. I've used a virus ti and I think it is very expensive for what is essentially, a controller

virus is a full synthesizer...the units which have VST interfaces (snow), work similar to the Nord, an analog synth, with a computer based modular editor, both are full synths in their own right

I had a Virus B and used a panel for a brilliant (and free!) program called CRTLR. Basically, it displays all of the Virus B's parameters in your DAW so you can adjust on screen (via MIDI IN/OUT)–extremely helpful for accessing the "hidden" features that require menu digging such as setting OSC 3 as well as the FX parameters.

That said, I loved the Virus B so much I waited for a deal to pop up via eBay and got myself a lovely Virus Snow for a steal. Amazing synth–but it can be a bit daunting due to the nearly infinite options available.

If you're looking to put in the work to learn it, the Virus (B, C, TI) are all great synths. If you're looking for instant gratification (and don't mind the monophonic limitations), bass station 2, Moog slim phatty/minitaur or Mini/Microbrute may be what you're looking for.

Cheers.

Last edited:
virus is a full synthesizer...the units which have VST interfaces (snow), work similar to the Nord, an analog synth, with a computer based modular editor, both are full synths in their own right

Nah I understand what it is. I just think there are better soft synths around. The virus costs about a grand right? I'd much rather buy komplete for that.

It is good don't get me wrong, it's quite fun to use. I've spent time learning the ins and outs of it. I just wouldn't want to spend anymore than £500 for one.

Nah I understand what it is. I just think there are better soft synths around. The virus costs about a grand right? I'd much rather buy komplete for that.

It is good don't get me wrong, it's quite fun to use. I've spent time learning the ins and outs of it. I just wouldn't want to spend anymore than £500 for one.

I personally think its sound is unbeatable, software wise at least, but I too would rather spend the money on other things, coz I also love operator, for diffrent reasons, and the virus doesnt offer enough extra, except for ''that'' sound. that said every time i've used a virus, i've been left drooling in awe of its pure fattness and filth - its something I'll get once I've finished buildin my studio and post racks

I'd also consider a Waldorf Pulse 2, those things sound awesome and are definitely in your budget.

some ppl mentioned the older viruses vs the virus ti. there's def more of a difference between, say the virus c and a virus ti. the virus ti has wavetable synthesis, hypersaw waveform, formant/granular features for the wavetable waveforms, more envelopes, a ton of diff types of distortion, comb/formant filter, more lfo waveform types, that's all I can remember off the top of my head. modulating waveform morphing sounds a lot smoother than any other wavetable synth I've heard except the waldorff, they're both great at this. they can morph them quickly without unwanted aliasing. sounds great for ambient sounds. the virus ti snow is a little beast

Back
Top Bottom