Need some help with drums here

HyperonDnb

so ive been stuck on this thing for ages now right, basically i have my drums in separate channels then they are all routed to one send channel, when i have my kick playing on its own its fine and punchy, but when i have a ride playing on the same beat the kick is flatter and i cant figure out why, its notbecause theres too much gain and its not the release time on the compression either, any help?

also if you think you can help me please hit me up on AIM so i can show you a sample of what i mean - AIM - ajayrayit

help would be greatly appreciated.

hard to say without listening...alls i can think is that theres some low end on the ride thats interfering with the kick and muddying it up when they both hit at the same time, if it is that u just need to eq out the bottom of the ride since you only really need the sparkle from it

ah no its not that either, i take all un needed frequencys off dont worry :) i think its partially to do with the send channel, think i may have sorted it now thanks for the help though!

You really need to post audio. A small boost on the kick up in the high mids (sweep and find the sweet spot) and a notch out of your ride at the same point might help.

Or the really obvious approach and just reduce the volume of the ride when the kick hits.
What's the compressor settings?

i may have sorted it im not sure, cheers for the advice, dont want to reduce the ride volume it doesnt sound good enough in the mix, plus doesnt solve the problem, aye i did boost the kick at a certain frequency in those mids and sounds better, cheers boss.

have you put them both through a freq analyzer to make sure the ride isn't hitting any of the frequency's that the kicks coming through at...if that makes any sense? judging by the tune in your sig tho i would thought you've done that. big tune mate :)

Yea sounds like masking to me, the click part of your kick will be getting drowned out by the ride. Or it could be the compression on the drum buss. Cause when the kick hits it will turn down the volume of the ride and high end kick click too, I always try to remember that when compressing low freqs, a large amount of bass will also turn down the highs even though they are not above the threshold. Thats why I tend to use multi-band compression on my drum buss :)

are you running a limiter on the master channel or anything? if the volume of the kick goes down when the ride plays, or vice versa, it's cause you're trying to cram too much signal into the limiter who's peak is set at 0db. if you take the limiter off, the volumes of each instrument will be unaffected but then you'll be going over 0db which is bad...doubt it's a frequency clash issue.

have u tried side chaining the ride to the kick. that way when the kick hits, the rides output will be less.

are you running a limiter on the master channel or anything? if the volume of the kick goes down when the ride plays, or vice versa, it's cause you're trying to cram too much signal into the limiter who's peak is set at 0db. if you take the limiter off, the volumes of each instrument will be unaffected but then you'll be going over 0db which is bad...doubt it's a frequency clash issue.

a limiter on the drum buss i think was the problem yes, its deffo not freq. clashes i make sure to remove any uneeded freqs on everything, cheers mate yeah what i did was unlink the ride channel from the buss, works fine now and levels are fine, thanks all for the insight.

Ajay

Back
Top Bottom