need some critique

Groovestick

started producing just over a month ago, been using ableton and massive mainly. here's my first completed tune.

http://soundcloud.com/bruteproductions/subdued

yeah, it's simple in places, really stripped down and could probably use some bits here and there but i like how simple it is and i'm fairly pleased with it.

how can i improve on the drums? i like em, and i think i got a decent snare sound (2 snare hits and a hi-hat to make the snare).

also, i know shit all about mixing down and stuff like that. basically, every element in this tune has a fuckload of effects from ableton on it.

cheers

Okay so because of your first post I was expecting something different.
intro sounds good, could go with a little more FX sounds.
I think the snare and the kick an be a little phatter though.

Overall pretty decent for someone who is just producing for one month!
Better than my first tunes.

Fill it up, add more stuff cause this simple is not going to work.
It sounds good, but after one listen it starts to get anoying that so less stuff is happening, so I would improve on that.

yeah, for sure.

how can i fatten up the snare and kick? like i said, the snare is a combo of things, the kick is just from vengeance. obviously they are both eq'd to shit and have lots of subtle effects on them, but what are some general tips?

now ive only been producing for like 2 months, but what i would have said, would be to layer both the kick and snare more, one snare hitting around 200hz and one higher, maybe adding a slight reverb to the higher snare would work nicely. Just a suggestion though... :)

Try things like a slight bit of reverb, a soft distortion, little bit of compression, parallel compression or a combination of this to fatten up your kick and snare.

ok cheers artfx.

also, this is gonna sound retarded, but how do you tell what freq a sample is at, or how do you place a sample at a certain freq? like how can i tell what freq my snare is sitting at and how do i adjust it?

i know there's things like spectrum analyzers which tell you stuff about freqs and shit.

Back
Top Bottom