NEED HELP WITH SNARES ?! HOW DO I GET THE SOUND

Discussion in 'Production' started by alcaponeuk, Jun 29, 2012.

1. alcaponeuk

alcaponeuk Member

basically i feel happy with my kick sounds and my drum arrangements with the percs hats and whatever other elements i throw in there like the bongos and that, but the main element that i can never seem to crack is the snare, they either sound like someones just smashed a piece of metal with a wooden stick or there to top heavy and thin , i can get a nice snappy sharp sound but im looking for that real round pop lower range sound like you hear on the newer camo and krooked tunes and most of the ultra commercial dnb out right now , can anyone help?! what sounds could i layer together to give me the pop or has anyone got any good samples they could throw out?!

2. spyre

spyre sample all the things

Sounds like you need some new samples

3. AnthonyDNB

AnthonyDNB New Member

Try some EQ and compression some people left so great tip on my thread. And yeah getting some new samples is a great idea. :)

4. Altodnb.

Altodnb. AltoDnB

Go sample hunting, i usually layer 2 one low thumpy snare and one high sharp snare. If your layering zoom right in and make sure that the main attack on both are at the same point even if there a little out you can lose alot of punch and snap. to get it to punch boost around 200hz and some of the highs sometimes it helps to cut a little around 750hz, and sidechain it with the synths that interfear

5. Artific

Artific Member

The way I find adds pop to a snare is to firstly find a good sample that has a nice tone to it. Using an EQ I do a sharp boost with a relitively high gain and sweep through the range until a the harmonic of the tone is boosted, usually around the 500hz area. Then lower the db of the boost until it sits nicely.

Compress the snare and maybe envelope it before compression if it's needed. Layer this with a low snare and a more splashy high end snare. Bus all these together and add a very slight compression to gel the sounds of the snares.

It also helps to have all the transients of the snares lined up otherwise some of the punch is lost.

6. lostnthesound

lostnthesound Burns Easily in the Sun

Be wary of using compression–if you don't know how to use it properly, you're better off not using it at all. Most snares from sample packs have already been compressed in the first place, so you're actually causing more harm than good by applying compression to an individual snare hit.

Also, try to avoid boosting because, again, the snares in most sample packs have already been boosted in certain areas to bring out the dominant characteristic whether it's the sough ever resonant "boom" found around 200Hz, or the higher frequency "sizzle" caused by the rattling of the chains attached to the snare. In most cases, try to layer a sound to enhance your hit rather than boosting a single hit by itself. Once you've layered up your snares, send them all to a bus and perform extremely light compression or even a bit of saturation to "glue" them all together.

And, as previously mentioned, make sure the first transient (that I refer to as the "impact" transient) are lined up with all the different layers that make up your snare. Otherwise, you'll have to deal with some unwanted phase issues.

Cheers.

7. spyre

spyre sample all the things

And if you're layering snares remember to pitch them correctly.

8. Meloz

Meloz Member

I'm the opposite, my snares are nice but my kicks are shite!

9. Serum

Serum Well-Known Member

Sample choice is key. You're better to find a sound with the right frequencies in it then try to EQ them into it. Excessive EQing destroys the natural balance of the sound.

I'm sure there are some tutorials around from Sub Focus, Chase & Status etc where you can learn a bit more about making that sort of sound so you can get advice straight from them.

A lot of these guys use kicks and snares from the vengeance packs which are very weighty. Some of the Loopmasters packs will have good samples in as well. ALso look into sidechaining so you can get more weight in the drums without affecting the bass.

10. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

Layer a Tom over the top for extra weight, then compress the shit outta it, add another layer with different freqs ranges etc.. There is a vid on youtube about how to make a koan sound snare, it sick!

And imo you need to know compression and limiting inside out to produce electronic music, any samples can and will benefit from these techniques no matter what people say!

11. mistasfx

mistasfx MISTA SFX

Ive found experiementing with layering, tone, eq, resampling, saturation gives off some cool sounds.

12. bulletstorm

bulletstorm Member

I'm pretty happy with the snare I made for the matrix and futurebound remix.
    If you like the snare I can send it to you.

13. ApeCat

ApeCat Human Dubplate

I don't think I ever saw a single masterclass tutorial that didn't advocate EQ'ing samples for little boosts and cuts..

14. Nucleoid

Nucleoid Nucleoid Drum & Bass

Summed up shortly what I do, and what I recommend you to do to get a cool snare:

-layer a few samples (no more than 5!!)
    -choose the right samples, this is worth putting a lot of time in, as the snare will be in the entire song...
    Usually I take a snare with a broad low end, one with a nice, defined 400-600Hz region and one or two with the focus more on the high end
    -compress all of them a little with the same type of compressor, so that they start sounding alike a bit
    -now EQ everything accordingly, and try to avoid boosting
    What I mean with this is, cut of the mids and highs from the sample you intended to fill out the low end, do the same for the mids, highs.. well you get the point.
    Also, it might be nice to pitch the snares correctly. Most of the times it is nice to cut everything from 0-120hz and 700-1000-ish, cause in most of the dnb mixes this part will not be heard at all and thus it takes precious space in your mix, that you could've used for bass/main pads/sounds/samples otherwise.
    -Now continue making the song and at the very end, revise your snares. Just cut frequencies in the snares, and if you don't hear a difference when u cut a certain part... then this means that this particular frequency is not really doing anything in your mix, but using space. So just leave it cut away and you'll find that other sounds will come up better ;)

Some last tips:
    Camo & Crooked snares are usually very small and high. With this I mean they are short, and the main resonating frequency of the snare is relatively high.
    For instance for some tracks I want this particularly punchy snare I use a sample that has it's peak value at 263,5Hz, where most of the snares have theirs between 200 and 250.
    This results in a really snappy snare with a lot of energy and it leaves a lot of space for the (sub)bass.
    For extra punch you might wanna try and layer a very short and clicky hat on the snare to start of your snare sound. This instant click/pop will contribute to the punchiness.
    And as mentioned above, do not compress too much (I wouldn't recommend using any ratio above 3~4 : 1) and boost and cut your EQ efficiently.
    Oh and for a last general note: if any particular frequency is doubled in a mix (for instance two guitars or in this case two or more snares), you can reduce that frequency by about 6dB in order to get it back to what it was.
    So for instance you have two high freq snares layered, you might wanna cut one at the loudest places about 6db (mostly between 700hz and 2khz) to make them sound crispier, but not nessecarily louder

If I missed out on someone, or u completely disagree with the above, I'm more than happy to hear/see your point of view, as long as you have a good argument/explanation for it ^^
    Good luck my fellow producers!
    Cheers,
    Q

15. alcaponeuk

alcaponeuk Member

much love for all the help and tips! i found layering a tom and boosting the 200hz slightly and adding a splashy high end snare seems to work quite well, i still need to master the art of compression and read into this transient shaping ive heard so much about, ill be sure to keep yall posted on my progress, gona have a search for some new samples as well seen as i only ever use the snares from the vengance essentials pack i found.

16. JRG

JRG Eat, Sleep and Breakbeats

I think the Vengence snare packs will prob help you achieve what your after man give em a look

17. equilibrium

equilibrium Member

18. mistasfx

mistasfx MISTA SFX

ive found the vengeance snares to hit too low on the freq scale for dnb

19. mr meh

mr meh Well-Known Member

pitch them up and then they will move higher up the freq scale

20. D-Jhepz

D-Jhepz ◕‿◕

maybe been simplier than it seems to me but wtf is this pitching up/down... do we mean on a eq plugin?