Need help with monitor speakers!

Shock/Tactics

Get the fuck up
Currently im only mixing on some cheap Alesis monitors I got for my birthday a while back, but now I'm stepping up on my production I need a pair that will give me that low end I need for Drum & Bass producing. In terms of budget im looking in the range of about £300-£500 (for the pair).

Can anyone recommend or give me ideas on which ones to look at?

Cheers
Tom

Last edited:

Check out fostex they do some really good speakers in that sort of price range, my mates got a pair and I think they sound pretty good but there are a few things to take into consideration though.....

The driver size is going to make a big difference as to how much bass your gonna get out of your monitors. Many small monitor speakers will use a port to increase bass efficiency but this can give you the effect of having more bass than there actually is as they have been tuned to reproduce or emphasize certain bass frequencies.

You don't want to get a monitor that is too high wattage because you are not going to start reproducing all the low frequencies until there is a decent bit of power/volume going through the driver. The smaller the room the less power you are going to need...

For a more accurate reproduction of what you are producing a sealed cabinet is going to be your best option. If you want something more bass heavy then you may prefer a ported cab. Either way you should go and listen to a range of monitors and keep the size of your room in mind.

If you find a pair that are bit out of your price range but sound better than the rest wait and buy them. Biggest mistake I made was buying a pair of krk's without listening to them based on a recommendation from a friend...I replaced them with a pair of mackie HR824's inside a year and lost a good wedge selling them second hand.

Hope that helps :)

Check out fostex they do some really good speakers in that sort of price range, my mates got a pair and I think they sound pretty good but there are a few things to take into consideration though.....

The driver size is going to make a big difference as to how much bass your gonna get out of your monitors. Many small monitor speakers will use a port to increase bass efficiency but this can give you the effect of having more bass than there actually is as they have been tuned to reproduce or emphasize certain bass frequencies.

You don't want to get a monitor that is too high wattage because you are not going to start reproducing all the low frequencies until there is a decent bit of power/volume going through the driver. The smaller the room the less power you are going to need...

For a more accurate reproduction of what you are producing a sealed cabinet is going to be your best option. If you want something more bass heavy then you may prefer a ported cab. Either way you should go and listen to a range of monitors and keep the size of your room in mind.

If you find a pair that are bit out of your price range but sound better than the rest wait and buy them. Biggest mistake I made was buying a pair of krk's without listening to them based on a recommendation from a friend...I replaced them with a pair of mackie HR824's inside a year and lost a good wedge selling them second hand.

Hope that helps :)

Thanks man, that definitely helped :)

Remember that a lot of it is how well your room is treated acoustically. The best monitors will sound shit in the wrong room/set up properly.

Good monitors does not guarantee great performance

Back
Top Bottom