Need help with a reese problem.

LG18

I have a sine based reese in a remix I'm doing. Ray Keith renegade esc, or stepped out side by load star kind of thing

I'm having trouble getting it to sit right in the mix amongst the rest of the track.
when I bounce the mix down, the reese is totally lost.
You'd think just turning it up would solve the problem, but it doesn't.
The problem isn't the volume. It's the tonal qualities that are lost.

As is characterised by that sort of square or sine wave reese sound, because of the slight detuning and the phase, the sound pulsates differently depending on the note you're on.

The lower you are on the keyboard the slower the pulsing is, the higher the faster it is, as you'll know.
While I hear this ok on my monitors, it isn't translating on any other speaker at all ( car system and other hi-fi set ups)
My KRK's ( the 9000b's, mid 90's) have an excellent bass response, and on anything with slightly less of one, (which is what you'd usually listen to music on when you're not in the studio) the bass has little to no detale.

You can't hear the bass pulsate as a reese should, and instead it just ends up a low frequency, un-defined sound, no matter what volume.

I've added side chain compression, and tried to emphasise the tonal qualities as it pulsates with an EQ, but it hasn't really made any difference.

It's not my various hi-fi systems either, because any other track with that kind of sound cuts through.

Any tips?

Thanks.

I would separate the sine from the saw tooth and sqare waves and bounce them out as separate channels. That way you have more control over the mix.

I would separate the sine from the saw tooth and sqare waves and bounce them out as separate channels. That way you have more control over the mix.

I usually do that for saw based reeses, But I'm only using sine waves here, so there's no contrasting oscillation to separate out this time.

Cheers.

What DAW and Synth are you using?

Logic Pro X and ES2.

I'd usually use FM8 or Zebra but I don't have that on the mac I'm using right now.

Thanks.

I do my reeces in massive but I'm on logic X too. Give me a brief description of how you made the reece or send me a patch and i can try it out at my end if you like? Up to you man

I do my reeces in massive but I'm on logic X too. Give me a brief description of how you made the reece or send me a patch and i can try it out at my end if you like? Up to you man

That'd be great, thanks very much.

It's a very simple setup, I've just never really used or made this type of reese so I don't really know what I'm doing.
Because it's only sine waves I'm finding it difficult to make the tonal qualities and the pulsing cut through the mix and not just sound like a block of low frequency oscillation.

I've saved the patch and have it on my desktop. As I say, it's ES2. How do I send it to you?

Thanks again.

Perhaps I'm doing it wrong then! haha.

In something like Massive it's the SquarePulse variation that gives you that sound, but that doesn't exist on ES2, so using sine waves seems to be the only way I can replicate the sound.
Sine waves are the simpliest of forms. Even though they can be used to generate some heavy subs, on higher octaves they have a soft tone to them, nothing compared to the most popular reese out there (two saw waves, detuned) which have that nasty sounding tone.

But anyways, I may be sayong bullshit here as I skipped my waveforms lesson, lol.

Sine waves are the simpliest of forms. Even though they can be used to generate some heavy subs, on higher octaves they have a soft tone to them, nothing compared to the most popular reese out there (two saw waves, detuned) which have that nasty sounding tone.

But anyways, I may be sayong bullshit here as I skipped my waveforms lesson, lol.

The sort of thing I'm trying to achieve is like this. I don't mean the growling sort of sound you get with the detuned saws.
The exact same thing, just without saw waves and instead with sines and square waves.

At least, I presumed that's what was being used, I could very well be wrong, though, and there in lies the reason I can't get the sound.

I seem to have gotten a bit closer if I add in a square and put a filter on it.

The tonal qualities of the square is what I need to compliment the sine, but it's too harsh a sound. it needs to be smooth, but not too smooth/

Perhaps I'm doing it wrong then! haha.

In something like Massive it's the SquarePulse variation that gives you that sound, but that doesn't exist on ES2, so using sine waves seems to be the only way I can replicate the sound.

Bro, there are loads of different waveforms in the ES2 - im not sure what you're chatting about there being only sine waves? The knob next the OSC number changes it.

h
LogicTech7_l.jpg

Bro, there are loads of different waveforms in the ES2 - im not sure what you're chatting about there being only sine waves? The knob next the OSC number changes it.

h
LogicTech7_l.jpg

I didn't say there weren't any other wave forms.

I just said I couldn't find anything other than a sine wave in there that was near abouts the sound I was trying to create.
Adding in a square wave makes the sound too harsh, but I think I've found a way to filter that out to an extent.
It still has the grittier over tones in there though that I'm not really after.
I'm new with Logic, sorry for the confusion.

In something like Massive it's the SquarePulse variation that gives you that sound, but that doesn't exist on ES2,

That's what threw me...

You're right tho, that kiss kiss tune just a sine wave, probably with an octave up sine OSC mixed in with a bunch of harmonic excitement to make it sound more lively, then add some saturation too for even more warmth.

HTH

That's what threw me...

You're right tho, that kiss kiss tune just a sine wave, probably with an octave up sine OSC mixed in with a bunch of harmonic excitement to make it sound more lively, then add some saturation too for even more warmth.

HTH

Apologies, I meant massive has the Squaresine mixture setting that es2 doesn't have, which provides extra harmonics.

Thanks for the tips.
I guess then it's the harmonic excitement and the added saturation that I need.
It's the lively ness that I'm missing from it.

Try putting that track in your daw and slowly low pass it until the bass starts being effected, at that point you will discover what frequency range that bass works in which should help understand what you're missing. You'll probably find that the bass has more high end then you think.

And you can blend between Saw and Sine, that's what that triangle thing next to the OCS is!

Back
Top Bottom