Need Help w/ Audio on Windows XP Home BADLY!!!

Novantadue
VIP Junglist
I can not figure out why the Sound Blaster Live card on my new PC is distorting the high end on my audio files.

It sounds simply terrible and I can't figure out for the life of me why this is happening. I've gone though the help files and the only hints they give as to why the sound would distort is A). because I have my line level up while I'm listening which I do not and B). because another driver is conflicting with the main one. This could be but I can't figure out how to turn some drivers off so I can experiement. Then again this might not be the problem. I almost wonder if I have to crack the case open and fiddle with some dip switches.

Does anyone have any clue? I need this help pretty bad. This distortion driving me mad.

:nono:

Re: Re: Need Help w/ Audio on Windows XP Home BADLY!!!

Really? Are the SBLive drivers known to have problems?

I found something even more funny. I was listening to the remastered "1992 The Edge" mix that you helped me with in an audio editor called "Gold Wave" and all the highs are really distorted. Then I found that theres a SBLive pack in program called "Creative Wave Studio" and the highend sounds perfectly fine if not better then before however now the bass is distorted.

This doesn't make a bit of sense! The audio in all my other programs including programs ment for XP such as Real Player creates sound that is distorted. It even seems like inferior sound is being recorded onto my CDRs(?).

Probably the most annoying aspect of all this so far is how my new computer plays my favorite song, DJ Seduction "Come On". The riff in the song is so loud and full of treble that it drowns out the amen drums and bass. This also is what gets recorded to my CDR disks, its as if the digital audio somehow passes through the sound card before it gets to the CDR drive which seems odd.

Re: Re: Re: Need Help w/ Audio on Windows XP Home BADLY!!!

It seems your link can not help me:

"The Dell OEM SB Live! (SB020x) is not yet supported since it uses a custom version of the EMU10k1, whose details are unknown. Experimental support may be provided when more information about it becomes available."

Mine is called EMU10k1X and it is a Dell which agrees with what they've said. :(

Re: Re: Re: Re: Need Help w/ Audio on Windows XP Home BADLY!!!

Sucks man. That would be the issue, then - a crappy dell on-board. Get a Turtle Beach card, I've heard those are nice for cheap.

A normal sb live is cheap as fuck
i think mine was 20 quid and that was 2 years ago

What I have is a sound blaster live only its a "special" (sarcasm) DELL version which has a different chip set. Due to this I can't use the driver software that Alex mentioned above which is of course a shame.

Back
Top Bottom