Need help setting up hardware synth with Ableton

Discussion in 'Production' started by mr meh, Aug 14, 2012.

1. mr meh

mr meh Well-Known Member

So i just got hold of a va hardware synth but im having some problems getting sound out of it in Ableton

I can play my soft synths in Ableton with it, but i can only hear sound from the synth itself if i plug my headphones directly into it

I have tried several variations of in/outs on the midi channel im trying to set up with it but still nothing?

its currently plugged into my pc via usb which installed a driver upon doing that which seems to be causing problems too

would i better off deleting that driver and getting some audio cables to plug the synth into my firewire interface and run it that way?

(the instructions only show you how to set it up with Protools btw)

cheers

2. miszt

miszt BASSFACE Royale

you need route the audio output from the synth into ableton, what is the synth, does the audio go over usb or just the midi?

Usually if I use hardware I setup 2 channels, 1 midi (going out to the synth) and one Audio (with the input source set as the synth output), you will also need to switch on the Monitor on the audio channel (to In - on the fader bar for the channel) so that you can hear the output of your synth.

This all assuming that either the audio goes over USB and Ableton already knows that; or that you have connected the output of your hardware synth to the input of your soundcard

3. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

hey miszt, can i interest you in getting involved with another forum compo? either as a contestant, judge or contrube to possible sample pack?

4. dirty breaks

dirty breaks Guest

yo i wanna get involved. i wanna add some ish to the sample pack...

5. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

awesome, go to the thread that says boom boom boom (i know, jimbo is a total speng) and throw your 2p in, if youd be so kind.

6. mr meh

mr meh Well-Known Member

I already tried this highlighted part with no luck, the synth is an M-Audio Venom btw

I've just had a look around on some other forums and it looks like i need to use the usb and have the audio outputs on the synth plugged in to the line inputs on my interface, so ive just ordered some 1/4" cables to do that.

cheers anyway mate

7. miszt

miszt BASSFACE Royale

thats what i'd have expected tbh! have fun :D u still need to do the same thing once you have the cable, simplest method i have found is using the 2 channels i discribed, but i'd love to know a more efficiant way if u find one!

8. miszt

miszt BASSFACE Royale

yeah man, def up for bein a judge, will have a look at the thread n see what else i can do

9. mr meh

mr meh Well-Known Member

Which daw you using?

In Ableton theres an 'External Instrument' option which has both midi and audio options and looks like its for use with hardware. It sounds like its the same thing as your describing but on the same channel.