Need help recording a mix

GoldenGinge

Right so I finally have a new mixer and can finally record mixes to my computer. The problem is that I'm repping a laptop. And the only inputs to the inbuilt soundcard are a microphone socket and headphones socket. And I've heard recording through the headphones socket is a big no no.

So basically, do I need to buy an external soundcard? And could any of you recommend me any? How much am I looking at spending for one?

i assume your mixer has a record out? alternatively a booth out will do the same thing. get an rca - 3.5 mm adapter. Take the rcas from the back of the mixer into the line in of the laptop. get audacity to record the mix (its free). you can adjust all the levels accordingly once you start recording. make sense? soundcards arent really designed for recording mixes (they can be used for it deffinately tho, but you dont really need one). if you want a sound card for your speakers there are a few good ones around the 100squid mark. hope that helps

since i use traktor i record internally (traktors own feature), but before traktor when playing only vinyl i had a rca to minijack to my desktop pc-s line in. i guess you do need to find some kind of external hardware if you don't have a pc nearby.

Mic in is very different from line in, but fortunately most mic in ports on laptops actually seem to be line in. You should be able to record from that, but you will inevitably have to play around with the levels a bit!

to add, you need to change the mic in to a line in in windows

Ahhhhhh ok. I think this is what I needed to hear. Cool. There was no obviously line that's what I thought I needed an external for.

Thanks for the responses guys from here I should be able to sort it. Nice one lads!

I record into the mic input and its always fine, just make sure the volume next to the mic symbol at the top of the screen on audacity is all the way down

i assume your mixer has a record out? alternatively a booth out will do the same thing. get an rca - 3.5 mm adapter. Take the rcas from the back of the mixer into the line in of the laptop. get audacity to record the mix (its free). you can adjust all the levels accordingly once you start recording. make sense? soundcards arent really designed for recording mixes (they can be used for it deffinately tho, but you dont really need one). if you want a sound card for your speakers there are a few good ones around the 100squid mark. hope that helps

my speaker set up at home is wank and i wanna intro some subs and stuff to liven things up... what soundcard would i need and etc what do i look for in one cos its something im completely uneducated in

my speaker set up at home is wank and i wanna intro some subs and stuff to liven things up... what soundcard would i need and etc what do i look for in one cos its something im completely uneducated in

Ive got a Maya 44 USB External Soundcard. Saves you messing around going through the mic.
Good quality for a decent price. Never had any issues with it in the last 2-3 years.

I use Goldwave...never had any problems with it, Audacity used to crash on me constantly, might have been my laptop but oh well.

that loos simple and sweet :) so just to straighten out that means i can add 4 more speakers...? considering i would have 2 into the mixer for would it mean i can have 4 in total? i dont understand :(

that loos simple and sweet :) so just to straighten out that means i can add 4 more speakers...? considering i would have 2 into the mixer for would it mean i can have 4 in total? i dont understand :(

Adding speakers depends on how many outputs you have from your mixer...
so my DJM600 has stacks...Master Out, Booth Out, XLR outs...so I could in theory have a stackload.

the amount of speakers you have shouldnt affect what you do with your soundcard...the soundcard would go into a record out on your mixer?

but cant you used a soundcard for adding speakings cos i only got 2 out puts and a mix on djm350... :( im happy with the speakers cheap affordable doesnt piss too many neighbors off i just wana sub to feel the bassnesses

so that recording through the mic works eh? Does that apply for macs as well?

I've got an old external soundcard for pc's which i use on my mates laptop as mac external soundcards are so expensive.

Would save so much time and effort being able to record that way.

my tech knowledge is pretty non existent so this could be a no brainer.

works fine on windows - not sure about mac's recently purchased on emyself so would be good to know also!

Some laptops do allow you to use a line in through the mic in but more often that not it will sound terrible (as the line output is far too powerful for the 'mic in' port and if you turn it down enough to not distort it is just far too quiet), the easiest way to record a mix in excellent (WAV) quality is to buy something like this http://www.thedjshop.co.uk/manufacturer/kam/kam-usbh100-usb-interface.html its only £30 and then record through that, using Audacity or similar software.

This will ensure you get the very best quality and the one above will also allow you to play back through the mixer, using the "out" RCA's so you don't have to worry about using a dodgy connector (which may well taint the quality) to listen back to your mix.

Got myself a soundcard from maplin for like £30, i dont use it to record as i use serato and record inside serato, i use it for streaming via ustream etc, although it can be used to record.

I'll look up the model, it does the job nicely.

cool that looks like it might do the trick, What about garage band? could that work for recording mixes. surely that would be the same as using audacity. Or would there still be there problem of the sound not coming through a sound card etc

Some laptops do allow you to use a line in through the mic in but more often that not it will sound terrible (as the line output is far too powerful for the 'mic in' port and if you turn it down enough to not distort it is just far too quiet), the easiest way to record a mix in excellent (WAV) quality is to buy something like this http://www.thedjshop.co.uk/manufacturer/kam/kam-usbh100-usb-interface.html its only £30 and then record through that, using Audacity or similar software.

This will ensure you get the very best quality and the one above will also allow you to play back through the mixer, using the "out" RCA's so you don't have to worry about using a dodgy connector (which may well taint the quality) to listen back to your mix.

with all die respect. i bought one of those. the difference was negligable. i sent it back in ghe end.

also, i coild recommend buying some logitecg 5.1 speakers if you want sub. its what i used.before upgrading and they work pretty well. give a decent bass too.

Back
Top Bottom