Need help programming basslines

Discussion in 'Production' started by mr meh, Oct 9, 2011.

1. mr meh

mr meh Well-Known Member

Really getting stuck making good basslines, i can get some cool sounds out of massive but cant seem to transfer those sounds into a sick bassline

For instance reece basslines, how would you program one on the piano roll? Is it just one long note thats been processed, or one bar notes or something?

cheers

2. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

Thats like asking someone else to write a track for ya mate.

There are no right or wrongs when writing a bassline. Some tracks have long one note basslines with modulation on them to help them move. Others have short arpeggiated stabs. It all depends on what style you are trying to produce.

3. Innovine

Innovine Active Member

Pick a track you like, and copy it. You'll learn the most by doing this. People on the forum will also be able to suggest how the reference track might have been programmed, as well as give you suggestions on your own cover version when you get stuck. I mean, to be honest, you can fuck around all day randomly doing shit hoping that you come across a sick bassline. I guess you've been doing plenty of that. Now set yourself a goal, and make a good effort to get there. You'll learn heaps, I promise.

4. Balthazaar

Balthazaar Member

Yea man agree with Mr.Fletch,but it all comes down to hours of experimenting,chopping,bouncing,blabla,but starting point is almost always basic reese bass,but from that it all comes down to automation,distortion etc..,you can get sick results by just automating pitch and lfo,not to mention some other elements:D

5. Innovine

Innovine Active Member

I would take a guess that you do not have a midi controller. I'd strongly recommend you get one. Something with a few piano keys and a couple of knobs to twist. Assign knobs to the cutoff, effects and shit. Press a key, hold chords, play short notes, long ones, little bursts of notes, wave the pitch bend up and down. Think about how fast you can audition and experiment with your synth compared to drawing all of these on the piano roll. You'll also figure out different combinations of things to move and press, rather than do everything one thing at a time with a mouse.

6. groelle

groelle Well-Known Member

try finding a groove within one note, whether it be short or long notes, then try to apply different keys to the single notes.

easiest way possible.

7. d-low

d-low I know you got soul

I agree you should look for a track to reference, and try to get a similar sound or say "what would work with this in a mix" but always try and do things a little different with your own flavour, it'll never sound as good as the original if u try to recreate it!

8. miszt

miszt BASSFACE Royale

Look up some Funk Bass Guitar tutorials, that should give you some good ideas, copy the patterns and notes into ur midi editor, and off u go

The reece can be as easy or complex as you want, a single note pumping with the side chain, or noisia style twisted crazyness. start simple tho, funk basslines are an interesting place to start imo

9. mr meh

mr meh Well-Known Member

cheers for the replies

i'll try some of these suggestions out, also got a few ideas of my own im gonna try

and might actually finish a tune for once lol

10. michael.james6

michael.james6 New Member

I personally find the best bass lines I write are with the help of other samples. I put a beat down and then find some vocal to work with. From here I got the outline of a song and can work to it. It can take a hour of playing my keyboard to find a suitable bass. I often change the sounds after I've got the rhythm / notes which sound best. Listen to the chaps above with regards to getting some form of input as this will save you a huge amount of time and give you instant feedback.