Need help! (logic users)

Discussion in 'Production' started by jack2290, May 10, 2013.

1. jack2290

jack2290 Member

i'l try explain to this as best as i can, probably won't make much sense! For the tune i'm working on, the snare is on my hard drive. My hard drive is plugged into my mac already so it's available whenever i turn it on. Every time i do turn my mac on, it makes me locate certain samples on the hard drive before the project loads up, which is annoying i would love a way to avoid that!

But the actual issue is that my snare in the project has disappeared. I bounced the tune late last night only to notice on the way to work it wasn't there! The snare itself has 3 different layers, each one is on my hard drive aswell as the full snare with all layers combined. Even when asked to locate the snare - full (file name) it isn't there.

Does anyone have any clue what i'm rambling on about?? As it says in thread title im using logic

Edit: - The Snare - full file is on my hard drive, it just doesn't play back in logic anymore

2. lostnthesound

lostnthesound Burns Easily in the Sun

Hi Jack2290,

So if I'm hearing you right you have a couple different problems, the first is that Logic has to relocate your samples with every launch and the second is that your bounced file (the layered snare) is no where to be found.

First things first, what settings do you have checked in your "save as" dialog box? Make sure you have "Import samples to Project" checked as this well collect the samples you've imported to the local project folder. In theory, Logic should always remember the location of the sample used despite its location, but I've found the best practice is to keep the "Import..." checked.

If you've done all the above and Logic is still struggling to find your samples, check your permissions of the project folder (right click > Get info). Make sure everything is set to "Read and Write." Also, you can try "Fixing Permissions" of the external (and internal) hard drives as I find doing this annually can really tighten up performance.

Are these samples straight audio regions or are the samples you have in the EXS24 (or other sampler)? Again, in the "Save As" dialog box, make sure you have both EXS options checked.

As far as the bounced snare disappearing, I'm a bit stumped. By default it should have been saved to your "Bounced" folder in your project folder. The fact that you can't find it there (or anywhere on your harddrive) is definitely perplexing and leads me to believe your project may be corrupt. Have you experienced any crashes while working in said project?

Cheers.

3. jack2290

jack2290 Member

Cheers for reply mate thats just what i needed. I had the snare in ultrabeat and hadn't checked the save ultrabeat samples to project folder, i've also now checked box of save exs samples, for the future. Nice one!

4. lostnthesound

lostnthesound Burns Easily in the Sun

Excellent!! Glad you got it sorted. :)