Need help deciding on turntable setup. :) [/another noob thread]

Discussion in 'DJ's, MC's & Turntablism' started by DeadRobot, Oct 15, 2009.

1. DeadRobot

DeadRobot New Member

Hello! :D

I have been DJing with Traktor for a while and am ready to make the jump. My budget is about 700 dollars and I would like to use Traktor with this setup.
    My question is: What exactly do I need to get?

Is this turntable good?
    http://www.stantondj.com/v2/prod_t80.asp

And what mixer should I go with? Would a Numark DXM 06 be suitable?

And what are needles, cartridges, etc.? Do I need to get those or would the turntable come with those?

Thanks a bunch guys. You guys rock. :)

2. Gr1pz

Gr1pz Aka - Align.

what are you trying to do in the longrun? if your trying to dj as a profession get some technics since thats what your going to be playing on in a club anyways. if not i heard some amazing storys about the stantons.

mixers and needles are all based on opinion no matter what theres gunna be different suggestions. it all comes down to trial and error on your part i belive.

3. DJ Spliff

DJ Spliff Never Enuff Vinyl

Turntables arn't going to come with carts/stylus(needles). So it's going to cost you a pretty penny to get some nice ones. Ortofon Concordes or Shure Whitelabels are what everyone seems to recommend. I would recommend getting the ortofons becuase they are directly mountable to your tone arm and save you the trouble of attaching carts to a headshell.

4. smartdj

smartdj New Member

stay away from numark if u want a mixer that lasts !! pioneers all the way djm-600 STANDARD!! nothing less than 1210's-1200's ,,and i only use ortofon dj nibs because other needls sit to low for my big hands lol plus they dont skip ..hope that helps :s

5. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

A budget of $700 won't get ya a DJM-600 and decks unless its old unfortunately, but you are in the land of the cheap so not sure on prices over the pond.

But yeah EXACTLY what you need is Technics 1210s/1200s (MK2/3/5), some Ortofon Concorde Nightclub Es, and if you can get a DJM-600, anything lesser will do your nut after time.

Numark is ok to start out, depends how serious you area about this. Another good start mixer is the Allen & Health Xone 22, bargin of the fucking year imo. These are cheaper then the 600 but its all about cost over time. Numark will cost say $100 now, last a year, then you'll have to spend more and then more etc. Buy good now, it'll last you easily 3 years if looked after (y)

Happy mixing!

6. wordnz

wordnz Member

Definitly get yourself some second hand Technics 1200/1210 (1210 are the black version). They will last you forever, you will never need to upgrade AND they hold their value, so if you ever want to sell you will get your money back.

They are also used in 99.9% of clubs in the world so when you start to play out you will be familiar with them.

Start out with a cheap mixer, and upgrade later. Mixers don't last forever, the faders wear out Also newer and better models are coming out all the time.

Needles: I recommend Shure M44G. They last for ages, and record wear is very low. Sound quality is OK and they are cheap.

7. TongueFlap

TongueFlap Flappin'

if you want to use traktor you would have to go for something like a CDJ400 - This can play your tunes via midi thru traktor..

but.. i highly recommend 1210's, I have 2 1210's and a CDJ800. Even tho the cdj is amazing it still wont beat the technics.