need advice on software (possibly hardware) to get within budget!

EvezDroppin

VIP Junglist
ez lads...

Coming into a bit of money before i go to UNi this september as I'm selling my car and looking to upgrade my production tools....

I'm buying a new pc (faster than my current laptop) so i won't have to deal with any cpu issues unless I'm working on a stupidly big project...

After that I'll have about 1000 ( can be more, 1500 absolute limit ) to spend on either some hardware or software.

WHat i currently have...

Studio one

Vsts : Fm8, massive, Absynth, CamelPhat, Wow filter, Equality, TubeVST

This is all I really use at the moment besides all the in house effects with studio one which are decent enough (reverb etc)

I've contemplated a virus, but have been getting nice results via resampling.. I need a good sampler, and maybe some good compressers etc?

What would you do with that budget? what do you think is the best choice and what am I seriously missing out on?

Sorry for the long post, hopefully someone can help me!

room treatment... decent pair of cans...decent pair of monitors...a second monitor (screen) if u dont have one already...49 key controller...loads of external hard drives...kontakt...vintage warmer

oh sorry. maybe i should have added.

I also have krk 8's

hd- 25's (although not good for producing)
second monitor i plan on getting....

got a 49 key controller :)

got an external hardrive! and i also have vintage warmer

Check out the Cyclop synth by Sugar Bytes. Nexus 2 by refx also very good for big sounds.

Yeah and put an SSD in your new PC, it has a significant effect on overall performance.

ok nydus, what interface would you recommend? and thanks whizz il look into those!
WHat would you keep on your SSD exactly? VST's and your DAW? then havbe your samples running of a bigger normal HD?

I 100% reccomend the fabfilter total pack if you want high quality, easy to use filters and stuff

ok nydus, what interface would you recommend? and thanks whizz il look into those!
I can't comment on the Cyclop synth but I don't think Nexus 2 is very good value for a single synth (well it isn't even really a synth, more of a sampler), you can get the whole NI komplete 8 package for double the price.
WHat would you keep on your SSD exactly? VST's and your DAW? then havbe your samples running of a bigger normal HD?
Yep. Given the software you've listed above, and assuming the PC will be mainly for audio production, 64gb will be fine. Whilst normal samples can go on another HDD you'd probably want sample instruments (kontakt libraries etc) to be on the SSD, so it would be wise to go for 128gb if you think you might expand this part of your sample library further down the line.

Last edited:
Yeah fab filter stuff is awesome, really nice sounding. A good compressor would be the FET by Softube. That's the best sounding one Ive ever heard.

For sampling, I think most people would agree that Kontakt is best.

Cyclop is new and it's aimed very directly at the wobble bass crowd. It's designed for making crazy sounds. Check out the demo.

It might make sense to keep the system portable so you can move it easy when going to Uni. Therefore demo some of the latest badass softsynths. NI Kontact seems to be 'goto' for D&B, A decent set of small active monitors might be a good plan, good headphones, a quiet CPU cooler. Keep it compact. Get one of these and a spare C drive it might save yo ass in your 3rd year.... 'Integral SATA copy station' though check SSD is supported.

cheers

SafeandSound Mastering
online mastering studio

If you're looking for synth hardware, maybe try out the new MiniBrute? Admittedly, I've only demoed it at a store for about 20 min, but the price is what really looked appealing.

Kontakt definitely for sampling. You may be able to get a crossgrade special since you own several NI products already, but I digress.

Cheers!

ok nydus, what interface would you recommend?

Hi,

Depends what your budget is? Anything by RME is good, though. :)
You're monitors are ok, originally I thought you were going to be investing in Hardware. If you're opting for a software based set up I guess the Komplete Audio 6 would be ok (personally, I would upgrade). If you are looking to invest in Hardware, you're going to want more I/O with accurate & transparent conversion. Try running hardware modules through your Komplete Audio 6 against any RME product & you'll hear the difference in detail.

Back
Top Bottom