Need advice on buying cd deck's for a beginner that is just getting into it.

Naughtymorty

Hi all I need some advice on buying some cd deck's for mixing dnb and all kinds of sounds. I have been looking at those homemix-mdex-3 cd deck's does anyone know if there are any good for a beginner for starting out in dj? Or can someone point me into the right direction to getting a pair cd deck's.That are good for a beginner that one break the bank lets just say just over the 200 mark please repley back many thanks all peace out.:spliff:

Last edited:
vinyl is an expensive hobby mate, i love it to fuck but for djing purpoes it just costs too much...

I saved up to buy some 2nd hand pioneer 800 mk2s because you really do get what you pay for in terms of quality, maybe someone else has some cheap decks they can recommend you

Last edited:
You can get pioneer 800's off ebay for just over 200 quid or so, second hand obvs but most are in good condition. I've been upgrading my set up and just bought one for 200 on there.

I'm playing devil's advocate for the sake of discussion here but...

...If you can't afford to do something properly, shouldn't you just not do it as opposed to taking a cheaper shortcut?

How about the middle ground and use Serrato/Traktor?

That way you still learn the basic skills of proper DJing...

I'm playing devil's advocate for the sake of discussion here but...

...If you can't afford to do something properly, shouldn't you just not do it as opposed to taking a cheaper shortcut?

How about the middle ground and use Serrato/Traktor?

That way you still learn the basic skills of proper DJing...

na mate. i love my technics and vinyl but it is completely impractical. even serato/traktor. it would be far easier to have just a cd wallet to carry about. You can definitely learn to dj the proper way using cdjs

i would recommend gumtree as opposed to ebay as you get better deals. I cant see where youre based but heres a pair of 800s for £350 in sheffield. http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/cdj-800-mk1s/1046271737

just make sure you go and try them out before sending money. AND NEVER SEND MONEY BY UKASH OR WESTERN UNION!

Don't listen to the idiots who say spen £1000.00 on your first set up!

If you pick up some modirately priced Numarks you will get good value for your money.

I've been mixing as a hobbie for around 7 or 8 years and I still don't own a pair of technics turntables.

No equipment is going to make you sound better than you are, and in fact if you learn on a pair of shit CDJs you will only find it easier when you splash the cash or use a decent set up.

I would go about it the way people did back in the day, start on a shit set up and get to grips with it. Then when you have the money treat yourself to a nice set up.

People who have only used the best equipment will struggle when using a shit set up, people who use shit set ups will only find it easier when they use a decent set up.

^ Agree to a certain extent but beat matching is beat matching at the end of the day, no matter what you use you still fundementally use your ears, regards of the equipment.

Music > Method.

This seems a little short sighted...

Are you suggesting ripping music illegally is ok then? Or 'borrowing' other people tunes (or parts of them) is all ok because you're doing it for the music?

Agree with Scotty - That's what I was saying in my original post. Start off at the bottom with some cheap belt drives that don't hold speed and learn to mix properly, then work your way up to Technics after that like most of us have done :)

Don't listen to the idiots who say spen £1000.00 on your first set up!

If you pick up some modirately priced Numarks you will get good value for your money.

I've been mixing as a hobbie for around 7 or 8 years and I still don't own a pair of technics turntables.

No equipment is going to make you sound better than you are, and in fact if you learn on a pair of shit CDJs you will only find it easier when you splash the cash or use a decent set up.

I would go about it the way people did back in the day, start on a shit set up and get to grips with it. Then when you have the money treat yourself to a nice set up.

People who have only used the best equipment will struggle when using a shit set up, people who use shit set ups will only find it easier when they use a decent set up.

This, I splashed out £400 on my first set up on some turntables, speakers and mixer, wasn't top of the range equipment but allowed me to start mixing, then you just build up your set up. I still use the Stanton T.62's I got with my original set up and would recommend them, quite cheap and well built, not too sure about CDJ's but would recommend pioneer 850's if you can get them

^ Agree to a certain extent but beat matching is beat matching at the end of the day, no matter what you use you still fundementally use your ears, regards of the equipment.

Yeah but, if you're stuck with a set of shit pitch faders you maybe left scratching your head when you think you have a track locked and it slips out of time.

Yeah but, if you're stuck with a set of shit pitch faders you maybe left scratching your head when you think you have a track locked and it slips out of time.

I vividly remember the days going to my mates with horrible belt drives and just constantly riding the pitch, cos that's what you had to do initt :teeth:

This seems a little short sighted... Are you suggesting ripping music illegally is ok then? Or 'borrowing' other people tunes (or parts of them) is all ok because you're doing it for the music?

Not short-sighted, but a bit of a basic argument in that form yes.

I think mixing music allows you to become even closer to it and in addition allows you to exercise creativity and showcase your personal experience with the music you love to others. I don't think we should focus overally on how people achieve this, just that they do so and benefit themselves and the community as a result.

I don't advocate stealing music, I'm really jumping on the idea you've put forward that if you can't do something properly, you shouldn't do it at all. I'd rather someone chose to sync beats using Virtual DJ than miss out on a deeper understanding and connection of the scene and those in it.

Not short-sighted, but a bit of a basic argument in that form yes.

I think mixing music allows you to become even closer to it and in addition allows you to exercise creativity and showcase your personal experience with the music you love to others. I don't think we should focus overally on how people achieve this, just that they do so and benefit themselves and the community as a result.

I don't advocate stealing music, I'm really jumping on the idea you've put forward that if you can't do something properly, you shouldn't do it at all. I'd rather someone chose to sync beats using Virtual DJ than miss out on a deeper understanding and connection of the scene and those in it.

At the end of the day, people dance to the music not the format. As long as the music is all obtained correctly then who would care on the dance floor where the music comes from? this is coming from a vinyl head btw.

Back
Top Bottom