Nearfield Monitor Placement

Discussion in 'Production' started by Oria, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Oria

Oria Member

Bought some KRK RP6's a while back and just got them over to me, unpacked and looking at putting them into place this week. My room/office is 180cm wide by maybe 350cm long, when at the desk I sit about 100cm from the wall with pair of 17" TFT in the middle of the wall with a room wide desk. Speakers will have to go either side of the TFT's putting them probably 120-150cm apart, angled in to create sweetest spot 1-1.5m back from the wall, the 6"driver would be at ear height so i`m thinking to put speakers on side with tweeter nearest to side walls to try and widen the field. Sound ok ?:teeth:

Don't have any wall brackets so will need to get some built by the local metalwork guy who normally makes garden furniture etc o_O

2. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

sound good man, i have them too.

3. motion audio

motion audio Active Member

Keep them standing up, laying monitors on their sides will usualy reduce the sweet spot because of how the speakers are designed/set up. Even if it was to widen it, then it would be smaller verticaly because of the the alignment of the speakers.
    ^^From an old Sound on Sound article.

Best way to start with your listening position is to set it up so that you form an equilateral triangle with the speakers, fairly obvious, but this will show the best results.

[​IMG]

4. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

feet, whats a foot in real world terms

5. T Leaf

T Leaf Neighbourhood Sickhead

i used to have my left speaker higher and closer than the right when i was working on drums. just impersonating real world ambience and bad setup scenarios. It was not a bad way of going about it. got some good punchy drums from doing that. Alot of people use the triangle theory above. It works really well for atmospheric design, stereo widening etc.

a foot is roughly a 3rd of a meter there or thereabouts mate. (y)

6. Oria

Oria Member

I thought the triangle was a given, although mine will probably be a short fat isosceles than an equilateral. Good point on the high freq dispersion, hadn't considered that, will ask KRK what they have developed around the tweeter.

7. motion audio

I should imagine theyre designed to stand up, it'll usualy be stated somewhere on the box/manual if they can be used horizontaly, even when they can be, I'd always prefer to stand them up to be honest.

8. Oria

Oria Member

Yeah, most likely, just thinking to get the tops directly on axis with my ears and i`m limited on how low i can place the units (to keep desk space!) otherwise i wouldn't be considering lying them down ! Compromises !

9. motion audio

Worth remembering that you can always have them a bit higher, just pointed down towards your ears. As long as theyre not silly high and pointed at some mad angle you'll be alright!

10. Oria

Oria Member

I can't find a decent speaker bracket that has turn n tilt so its gonna be a small shelf for each one, with layer of deadening material between shelf and cabinet (to try and isolate) and 'something' to rise 1-2cm at the back for the angle down if req'd.

Anyway, thanks for all comments chaps.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  11. Krispy

Krispy Member

I'm sure if you have them 2 feet or 3 feet or a bigger triangle isn't going to make a huge difference

12. druu

druu Member

Look up the 38% rule and all will be revealed. GIK site has the info.

13. motion audio

As long as the distance between your ears and monitors is about the same as the distance between the monitors themselves it'll be ok. And obviously it cant be a huge distance as theyre "nearfield" monitors, so theyre not designed to throw sound a long way.

As for standing them on their sides, give it a try and listen for the difference, your monitoring "sweet spot" will almost definately be slightly smaller, but see how you get on with it.

Products like the Auralex MoPads will give you some good seperation between monitor and stands/desk, and also tilt the cabinets to make up for the extra height they add.

14. Oria

Oria Member

Got them in ... throwing all sorts at them ... sounding great :D They are mounted on an ornament type wall shelf i bought from the local DIY store and despite saying upto 35kg per shelf they are pointing downwards towards me under the weight of the KRKs - perfect (until i hear a crash or two during the night when speaker meets desk pffft

15. kama

kama benkama.net

Word this.

You should position them so that your listening position is 38% down the length of the room. That comes from avoiding the worst room modes (the golden cut is what it is btw), which result in weird stuff with lower frequencies like some notes sounding louder than others or quieter than others. Also try to get them far from the walls, at least a foot or so, and definately avoid placing them in corners. This will even out the bottom response.

Also, those shelves are not the optimal material to have your speakers on, since the vibrations will transfer easily from the speaker cabinets to the shelf and create resonances and, you guessed it, trouble with the bass response.

---------- Post added at 21:55 ---------- Previous post was at 21:46 ----------

Make sure that the stands wont have any thin metal sheets, they're the wost kind of stuff. You'd be better off making them from sturdy wood.

---------- Post added at 21:57 ---------- Previous post was at 21:55 ----------

Ah yeah, missed this. You're on the right track then!

16. louis g

louis g New Member

12 inches ;)

17. Oria

Oria Member

as far as position of monitors goes there is only one location possible due to windows/doors on 3 walls, the 4th wall being under 2m wide with tfts in the middle, speakers are against a brick wall, just in from each corner, this is 100miles away from what i had before in terms of mid-top response but yes with some unwanted 'boom' at certain sub freq's. room is not a bespoke studio room so its not ideal just a best case :) Will hunt down someone with an sa-3055 or similar and create a flatter response eq for the daw master channel.

18. Oria

Oria Member

christ, how time flies - 4 months since i last was on the forum - lame !!

Anyway speakers still sounding sweet, such a pleasure to listen to music on. Not sure how to work on this 'boom' affect i get i think is somewhere between 40-60hz ?!

19. kama

kama benkama.net

Bass traps are the answer. Your could try to move them just a few centimeters to get rid of it as well, but most likely you'll just get the boom in some other freq area.

I have no bass trapping either and there's a few bass notes that I can't hear at all from my sweet spot. Not that sweet at all I guess. But I don't have the funds to do any bass traps right now so... I'll just have to check those things in another room or with headphones and trust they are good.

20. chromey

chromey a.k.a Impact

studiospares.com do cheap bass trap material ;)