NBA star's $15 trainers!

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by D BREAKNECK, Apr 5, 2007.

1. D BREAKNECK

D BREAKNECK 7 years on top

I read about this today:

NBA All-Star Stephen Marbury (5th highest paid player in NBA) has turned down multi-million $ endorsement deals and instead put out his own range of 'Starbury' basketball shoes priced at $14.98, which he himself wore all season in NBA games.

Inspired by his own childhood, when his parents couldn't afford brand name shoes, and a wish to make quality sportswear available to all.

Independent reviews rate them as similar to wear to $150 Nike Lebron IV Zooms.

Cool eh?

Just goes to show how much money is made by all the others...

edit: link www.starbury.com for pics.

(Not the prettiest shoes, but basketball shoes rarely are...)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2007
  2. freeagent

freeagent Almost 30

Good for him! The man comes from a tough part of Coney Island - had a few cousins shot and killed growing up.

3. lokki

lokki JUNGLIST FROM DEYA

cool idea... but...

Two problems...

Firstly from a marketing point of view... a few months time i can see people going... "haha you pikey.. you got Starbury trainers"

.. Starbury will most likely be a name soon to be associated with being poor.. most likely in the terrible materialistic world we live in.. id like to think instaed that Starbury would be a name associated with having a social concience ..yeah right...cant really see 50 cent biggin these up (although he should ha came from a poor background dont y'know!)...

Also i have a feelin that if they are selling them at 15$ the little kids making them in the chinese sweatshop are fucked!

its a good idea tho!

4. D BREAKNECK

D BREAKNECK 7 years on top

Maybe, but I dunno.

I think cos Marbury is wearing them himself in NBA games counts for a lot.

& they are selling so many pairs that some degree of mainstream acceptance must be happening or will happen.

& ppl are buying multiple prs in different cols to co-ordinate.

& in the article Marbury says he wants to give a choice to those who have none, who are having to wear hand-me-downs & who's parents are struggling to provide anything.

Thinking of poor kids in British school PE lessons, being called 'pikey' for wearing cheap but decent trainers, must be better than wearing knackered hand-me-downs or yr black leather school shoes, or plimsolls!

I do think the ethical thing is coming across. He also makes all the multi-millionaire NBA stars and rappers with big shoe deals look like cunts, cos they claim to care about the ghetto, while bumping up prices.

& Other NBA stars are coming on board with Starbury to bring out signature lines for £14.98 too.

& industry experts are watching really carefully, predicting possible price drops from other brands. I think anything that makes ppl question the 'value' of goods must be good.

I think the sweatshop kids are fucked anyway, I've often heard that Nike & major brand shoes cost around $2 a pr to produce.

5. Dustek

Dustek Finished the PhD

They're paid the same whether its $1,50 shoes, $15 shoes or $150 shoes. Not even the factory owner gets more whatever the end the price. The player and the logo company gets the profit.

6. lokki

lokki JUNGLIST FROM DEYA

yeah i guess...

im just a sceptical old bastard! haha!

i think its a great idea though