Native Instruments and STEM Files.

Joey AdhD

sweaty scouser
VIP Junglist
So, new file format getting released primarily aimed at DJ's.

Its a music fils just like a WAV, MP3, AIFF etc, excepts its splits the audio into 4 layers... Bass, Drums, high hats or what ever the producer decides they want to split, which means you can cut certain aspects of the track out live...

here is a vid with a Shogun tune showing you how it works on the primary controller the D2...pretty cool..

looks boss...here is some info on the actual file format...

http://www.stems-music.com/stems-is-for-djs/index.html

Looks exciting...

BUT...as a producer spending countless hours in the studio on a tune then u offer it up to DJ who canchop it up, cut it about as to how they want it?

Think i am going to invest as i play alot of techno, but will be ace with DnB too...

Thoughts?

I love the idea. Seems really awesome so remix and cut up songs on the spot.
I def want to try this out.

But. It will probably be expensive. Native instruments and Beatport that team up? Both expensive companies, so I'm guessing this won't be cheap.
And second. How will they secure those stems? As a producer I could just steal all those stems, and use them for my own productions. I mean, you could just record one stem at a time (if the stem itself has some security or something) and voila, topclass samples ready to go. That's my biggest concern. Other than that I could see some awesome mashups happening

This is a major game changer if you ask me.

Instant performance remixes on the fly.

A DJ could remix a track on the fly and it be completely unique and something that you will only ever hear once in your entire life.

GAME CHANGER!

Back
Top Bottom