n00b Looking for some perspective

I'd class it as dubstep. You need to work on getting the drums to punch through the mix more, especially that snare, it sounds far too weak as it is right now. I'd also suggest taming that bass sound a fair bit too, it's overpowering the entire track. Try lowering it by a db or 2, and using notch filters and automation to bring it to life with more movement

Deffo beef up the drums, and like Fletch said add more movement to the bass and get everything at the right volume level and you are good to go mate. Btw, I would call that Dubstep, did you make it with a BPM of 140 or close to that?

Thanks for the tips! More movement is definitely a must, any suggestions on how to beef up the drums? It's in 120 BPM.

I'm really not a big fan of the sawtooth sub at about 2.09. It sounds a bit rubbish. Couldn't you put a reese or something in there instead? or at least shove a low pass filter over it so that it doesn't interfere with the mids.

In terms of overall structure, you might want to build the tension more before the different loops come in. You havent even tried adding kick, kick kick, kickkickkickkick, kikikikikikikikikikikikikikikikiii..... boom!

There are other ways of building the tension if you don't want to resort to using kicks at increasing speed, but do some kinda build at least.

Sorry for offering critisism and no compliments, but I think this way you'll improve faster.

Last edited:
Yeah, It's dubstep. It has that classic feel, but surely it's more prone to brostep. Anyways, is it true that you download music illegally?

Lmfao
Your ignorance is astounding.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd class it as dubstep. You need to work on getting the drums to punch through the mix more, especially that snare, it sounds far too weak as it is right now. I'd also suggest taming that bass sound a fair bit too, it's overpowering the entire track. Try lowering it by a db or 2, and using notch filters and automation to bring it to life with more movement

Thanks so much for being the only genuinely constructive post! The mix sounds really soft because I haven't mastered it yet, I'm currently working on recording all the tracks into WAV and resampling it, adding more texture to the synths.

Ratcub I think you are missing everyone's inside joke,

On the left side of the screen, just underneath your name on each post, you will see a little coloured square, yours is red, which means somewhere down the lines someone has negative repped you (for whatever reason) if you hover your cursor over it, it will give you a random comment, yours happens to say that you like to download tunes illegally. If you look at mine it says I'm headlining the rave lol, probably due to the fact I've given a lot to this community, and over time, people have positively repped me.

I really wouldn't worry what the comment is, as they were written by a few of the guys who mainly lurk over in the waffle section, and none of them over there are the full ticket! ;)

EDIT - I've just positive repped you and your square is now green instead of red... ;)

I'm liking the acoustic sounding drums, cool synths, can't really add anything to the criticism given by Fletch, pretty much spot on, I'd get a vocal in there aswell, with some delay and reverb, would sound cool, nice job!

Ratcub I think you are missing everyone's inside joke,

On the left side of the screen, just underneath your name on each post, you will see a little coloured square, yours is red, which means somewhere down the lines someone has negative repped you (for whatever reason) if you hover your cursor over it, it will give you a random comment, yours happens to say that you like to download tunes illegally. If you look at mine it says I'm headlining the rave lol, probably due to the fact I've given a lot to this community, and over time, people have positively repped me.

I really wouldn't worry what the comment is, as they were written by a few of the guys who mainly lurk over in the waffle section, and none of them over there are the full ticket! ;)

EDIT - I've just positive repped you and your square is now green instead of red... ;)

Thanks for bringing me up to speed, I'm not on the forum much, so I don't know a lot of how things work around here but I hope to make some friends and help others when I can. I appreciate you taking the time to respond and if there's any tracks I can give some feedback on let me know.

I like what you're trying to do here. I would say try using sounds that really cut through the mix and fit well together. You get what you put into your mix and it all starts with good samples, powerful synths and unique ideas. Keep it up man :)

Back
Top Bottom