My Take on The Watcha's A - Z idea.

tewky1

VIP Junglist
What a cool idea, and was sat around today with nowt to do, so had a go at putting something together. Was a nice challenge at tune selection. had to get the credit card out and buy some tunes, I had nothing for W and Y. Those tunes are both a bit of a compromise, all I could find today hunting.
Little rough and ready in parts, but it is what it is.

Any feedback appreciated. Enjoy.

Track List

Audio - Abyss
BTK - Things I Do
Command Strange - Takeover
DLR - Elsewhere
Enei - Slow Motion
FD - Third Glance
Genotype - A Few Too Many
Heavy 1 - Rhizaria
Incognito - Primitive
Jumpat - Spaceworm
Krakota - Tunnel Vision
lomax - Innocent X
Mortem - Iceberg
Need for Mirrors - Columbia
Octane & DLR - Gravity
Pessimist - Abstract
Quadrant - Scandal
Rockwell - Full Circle
Skeptical - Frozen
Tactile - Aldabra
Ulterior Motive - Its On
Vicious Circle - Insitnct
Wilkinson - Tonight
Xtrah - Regain Control
Young Ax - High Rollers
Zero T - Rainha

Nice one wingz, thanks man!

Interested in what you think Danwell, big up for having a listen mate! Your January Mixington has been getting rinsed in the motor last couple of months, big mate!

Got to start by saying thank for the mention in the title of your mix man & respect for taking on the challenge even though I didn't throw down the gauntlet, as mentioned :) Also, need to be really picky and say that using Octane & DLR for the letter O is cheating, particularly when you used DLR for the letter D.

Abyss was a wicked start, getting straight in there. Not heard it before & reminds me of Mindmapper's more rolling style. Not heard the intro tune before, but a nice tune & like the way Audio's tunes are going of recent months. More familiar atmosphere of Things I Do begin to ease in over the top of Audio's bit. Don't think I have heard the original of that since it came out. Another new bit on the ears with Takeover was a pleasing first listen, reminiscent of Dark Soldier - Wonky Dog. Elsewhere came in well, but seemed to sit back a little in the mix & would have liked to have heard a longer mix with that. Need to start playing Elsewhere again myself, so nice one for including it in your mix. Did think about having Enei for the letter E, but he hadn't had a tune out for a while. Slow Motion drops 1 bar out, but was mixed in time. Elsewhere can be a bitch to mix out of the first few times you mix it, it drops on the 'Elsewhere' vocal before the beat comes in for the second drop. Third Glance came in quite well, sounded a little like the full sound of the tune was going in and out, like when mobile phone signal comes and goes, and people sound a little quiet on the other end. Respect for playing A Few Too Many as well... again need to start playing that again, small slip in there, but quickly back in. Would have liked to here that mix stay in at the drop as opposed to the switch. Nice to hear Rhizaria making its way in before the breakdown in Genotypes tune, but for another switch. Not heard Primitive before, which briefly brought its broodiness into Rhizaria before stepping out on its lonesome. Haven't heard of Jumpat before either, so Spaceworm made for another quality new interesting listen. Like the way how that one rolled :) Already have a feeling that Tunnel Vision will blend very well with Spaceworm, and it does just that.

Innocent X is building through the breakdown of Krakota's last tune for some steppy industrial behavior to do some damage, right before the filthy bass of Iceberg does its dirty thing. Columbia bounces on the beat of Iceberg nicely, for a choice selection before it rolls out on its own. Rawness's intro vibes in well with its underlying bass current for another switch. Abstract is in, to be switched at the middle ease down in Gravity, with some less energetic kick & rim shot drum structure that Pessimist is renowned for. Actually thought about having Pessimist - Zulu for the letter P in my A to Z mix, as well as an old Quadrant bit on Renegade Hardware for Q. Scandal is another quality tune you have in there.... very DLR - Elsewhere jungley flavours in there, but more rolling & pleasing to list to ahead of Full Circle clicking its way in before the break in Scandal & to be switched at the drop. Frozen begins to kick in the breathing point of Full Circle for it to drop for full effect. Aldabra brings more newness to my ears with a more dj friendly beat, complimenting the hectic structure of Frozen. Its On worked well off the back of Aldabra for another switch... nice to hear again, together with Instinct tearing through UM's tune, keeping the vocals of the previous tune in for good measure. I didn't think that Tonight suited everything that had gone before in in the mix.... just a bit too dancefloory, compared to the rollers & steppers. Regain Control sounded nice in there + the first members mix I have heard that in. Was interested to see / hear what Young Ax tune your would choose when you mentioned them / him / her, but the shuffley High Rollers sounded very well chosen & sat well between Regain Control, and Rainha (another that I hadn't heard before), making for a more soulful rolling tune to end on.

A pretty good mix Tewk, varied selection and nice take on the idea. Few too many switches in there for my liking, and the couple of switches one after another. Vary that up a bit if they are going to be in there, like one every so often. Also, as mentioned, Elsewhere can be an arse to mix out of. But other than that, it was enjoyable

:2thumbs: Amazing, thank you so much for the detailed run through, I think Dan posted you turn the mixes in words, talking us through, truth, your feedback is a spectacle to behold!!

Everything written spot on, and all noted. I think taking on the challenge a bit, I did get a bit jumpy on the switches, not really trusting the mixes to roll through, bit of nerves maybe with the undertaking, bit of nervousness from not mixing with DnB for very long. Would probably be along the lines of what would go down if I played out. I tried to make it as one take as I could, although with the constraints, I did a little pre panning, which was an hour so jamming around seeing what would sound ok from my hotlist. Made a tracklist, had one run through no recording, and then commited to tape. Was an enjoyable process, which helps get me used to the ever growing collection I seem to building up, and got me to play tracks I probably never would have. As you say wilkinson tune was a bit of fail, I tried finding something fitting, but somehow ended with this, although the High Rollers is a airy nice thing which I got introduced to. Big up Terpit who suggested him to me!

The Commend Strange tune is a belter, and I would highly recommend all 3 tracks on that release. Also the Hyperbug EP is a banger!

Once again big thanks mate, you are a credit to this place! Keep being you :)

Definately checking this out, tracklist looks delicious. Can't wait to see how some sounds in there blend

Back
Top Bottom