My left monitor dying...

Reactor Grits

VIP Junglist
Well peeps, after 6 years of sheer fun it seems my left monitor (event sp8 active) is giving up. It first started to make a small hiss, and this intensified over time. At one point it seemed less, than more. Now the thing is producing so much noise it seems like a 30s record is constantly playing through it. The high frequencies were so over the top I thought my right monior had gone muffled and the tweeter broke (it now is clear the left one just started overdriving the high frequencies). Changing audio or power cables didn't help, just like changing power outlets. I'm dreading even turning the fucker on now, when I click it off it makes the most horrible high creaking sound. Event itself is out of business, so its praying the company that took it over can fix it and more importantly, still has the parts which might have to be replaced.
I'm guttered, those things costed me a ton and I hoped they would last a bit longer for the investment. If any of you has any advice or tips before I ship it to the other end of the country and lose lots of driving/repairing money, it is now more than welcome. Otherwise, condolences are welcome too, and I had my rant. :burn:

many thanks for the advice mate, really appreciate that. I did visit the link you suggested, and it seems I have to get it to the local distributor and pray they can fix the thing. messing around myself with the voltage parts seems messy with my lack of expertise on this, so I better stand tall, cough up the dough and hope for the best! also will tell them about the leak you mentioned, big up!

damn shame. they have been abused in the best possible way of course. i chucked my monitors out when they stopped working, i got the famous alesis blinky light problem, which turned out to be a simple power supply issue, so get a guy to fix that, do not chuck it out is the moral of that story.

Well, turned out I'm a lucky fucker! A fuse the size of a flea blew (apparently it took them ages to find it) but it seems they now sound again like their good ol' self and am going to pick my babies up next week. I'll be losing a small 100 eurs on this but still better than to spend a 1000 on new ones so I'm really stoked. Big lesson learned: believe in the powers of repairing and don't fret! Thank you very much.

Probs here too, right monitor just cuts out completly a few times in a 3-4 hour session, if i im focused on what im doing a few times iv not noticed and screwed my mix downs

Back
Top Bottom