My first time playing out and its in a mainstream club.. advice!!

_MILLA

Flamboyant muthafucka
VIP Junglist
Cheers for taking the time to have a look at this thread!

Ive never played a club before, only a few little parties/gatherings....

Ive (hopefully) managed to get a slot in this small club in my town that plays pretty much shit chart music and the odd fresh / chase n status song... so im sorta nervous on how it will go down!

Im qualter of my way through the mix and im stuck.. im trying to keep it kinda mainstream so the dancefloor isnt empty after 2seconds of me playing!

Set so far...

Mindvortex - onslaught
Chase n status - no problem
Sub focus - timewarp VIP
Nero - me and you (dirty phonics remix)
Tinnie tempah - pass out (DC breaks remix)
Crissy Criss - kick snare (DRUM STEP VIP)
???

Any ideas what will mix well out of crissy criss - kick snare ??
I have played around with gold dust VIP but i hate that track and although it would have the whole club singing i would like to try something different!!

heres the track so you dont have to search!!

any ideas would be great!! thanks :)

Last edited by a moderator:
if ur playing somewhere that mainly plays chart music, u r better focusing on selection rather than actual mixing.
the crowd isn't gonna care for it to be honest.
see what goes down well / judge the crowd reaction and go from there.
dont worry too much about great mixes. even just straight crossovers will be fine.

if ur playing somewhere that mainly plays chart music, u r better focusing on selection rather than actual mixing.
the crowd isn't gonna care for it to be honest.
see what goes down well / judge the crowd reaction and go from there.
dont worry too much about great mixes. even just straight crossovers will be fine.

yeah your right, on a saturday it is all about the selection...
but friday nights they have propa dj's that mix tunes

I wanna make a good impressions so ill be aloud to play there again!!

that crissy criss tune is doin my nut in i cant think what till sound good out of it!!

mate don't plan your set, for all you know they might hear the first tune and leave, then where does that leave ya? Start with something popular that will grab peoples attentions straight away and go from there.

Feelings by Shy FX is always a crowd please, dnt matter how old it is, play stuff people know drop the odd track that they won't know but keep it interesting for regular townie folk. I had a residency at a club in my town and trust me, they won't hang around if you go too underground for too long. Lots of vocals for the ladies, tracks with dubstep/housey/hiphop rnb breakdowns if poss.

go with the flow.

used to play the odd night out at local gigs, so selection is key.

just play a pure bangers set, switch for the breakdowns, everyone is happy.

to follow on from Thin & Crispy's comments, nothing worse than people leaving a dance when you have prepared for it with your life and soul. Be creative.

mate don't plan your set, for all you know they might hear the first tune and leave, then where does that leave ya? Start with something popular that will grab peoples attentions straight away and go from there.

Fair comment! i was thinkin start with something familiar, bt maybe catching them off gaurd with something like mind votex - onslaught will go down well cos its a banger... and then double dropping it with chase n status - No problem.. cos everyone knows that tune.. but they probaly havent heard it mixed with anything before..

thing is.. its a club where half the crowd im gna know personaly.. and i know they will dig it cos theyre friends... its the other half that im hopeing will stay and listen... thats why ive picked tunes that are remixes off wel known songs! (tinnie tempah)

Im hoping that the half i dont know will see the half i do know having a rave and join in!!

I just wanna bring something a little different other than chart music to my shitty little town haha!!

thanks for the help mate, and your right feelings is a tune i own and a tune no 1 can dislike, ill try n throw it into the mix!!

Persoanlly, I'd start with a Chase& Status tune or golddust, something well known then make it up as you go along, see what the crowd responds to!

I think its also a good idea to play recent remixes of chart stuff. I did a house set once and played cheese, but it was house remixes of sort of, 6 month old mainstream tracks, and no one was really feeling it. Try to stock up on recent remixes of mainstram stuff thats in the chart now, people love to hear the new stuff when they're out.

its the other half that r gonna keep the manager giving you sets, just keep it a bit bait at first, once your getting more regulars you can be more adventurous with your selection. Some tight mixing is good but you also wanna keep people interested, try and play the most popular parts of tunes that they r gonna know, avoid long drawn out parts of tracks and long breakdowns. Pissed people have extremely short attention spans, some fader action is usualy welcomed, cutting in parts of the next track before you mix it... shit like that. From what you've described the club as, you realy can't play it like you would at a rave and thats the sad truth, you gotta build um up!

I think its also a good idea to play recent remixes of chart stuff. I did a house set once and played cheese, but it was house remixes of sort of, 6 month old mainstream tracks, and no one was really feeling it. Try to stock up on recent remixes of mainstram stuff thats in the chart now, people love to hear the new stuff when they're out.

this, theres fucking tons of rnb dnb remixes, have a search around soundcloud

Also, if your a vinyl purist, drop the habit for the town clubs and venture to CD's or whatever else is handy aswell... realy broaden your selection to everybody without breaking the bank on records lol

its the other half that r gonna keep the manager giving you sets, just keep it a bit bait at first, once your getting more regulars you can be more adventurous with your selection. Some tight mixing is good but you also wanna keep people interested, try and play the most popular parts of tunes that they r gonna know, avoid long drawn out parts of tracks and long breakdowns. Pissed people have extremely short attention spans, some fader action is usualy welcomed, cutting in parts of the next track before you mix it... shit like that. From what you've described the club as, you realy can't play it like you would at a rave and thats the sad truth, you gotta build um up!

Yeah mate defos.. im teasin in a lot of the well known tracks before i bring them in properly to try n keep peoples attention.. ive played the set to my mate and he thought it was wicked... but then again he also is a fan of drum n bass.. lol

Im nut sure if freestyling the set would go great for me.. ive only been mixing a year so i think a pre practiced set would be better.. i just want some practice playing out to people!.. and i bought some cdj's about 2 weeks ago and thats what ill be playing on in the club.. not vinyl!!

i was thinkin about trying to chuck some fidget / house in, see if i can find some cool remixes!!

and i dont really have many breakdowns... only build ups and one or two breaks of vocals where the dubstep kicks in.. the set flows really well to be honest!

i guess the best thing i can do is just go for it and see what the crowd responds to best!!

cheers!

I used to play a few events like this, just play loads of remixes of mainstream tunes or tunes they'll all know like If We Ever, Streetlife and Feelings

These should go down well...

Snow Patrol - Open Your Eyes (Marky & Bungle Remix)
Jazz Theives - Keep On Pushin
Ghostface Killah - Back Like That (Marky & Bungle Remix)
Nelly - Dilemma (DnB Remix)

And Rock It would probably go down ok if you can face playing that again

and then double dropping it with chase n status - No problem.. cos everyone knows that tune.. but they probaly havent heard it mixed with anything before..
To be honest your prob not ready to play in a club man. You show a complete lack of creativity asking the forum for a mix, then you plan on robbing an Andy C mix, if that falls flat, your in trouble mate.
Just go with the flow and get an idea for what they want to hear while your playing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom