My first really thought out track "Something Special"

how did you get the drums to filter in? yeh wtf lol i thought it was constantly gunna drop.
Put a freq filter on the drums, set it to low(so you can't hear it, or where ever you'r happy). Then automate the nob so it's being turned up(also to where you'r happy!). Hope that helped :P

I'm working on the bass. But thanks for the notes :)

Edit: Any tips on making a good bass for deep/liquid tracks? I really suck at making a good bass.

Last edited:
Cheers fellas. I'm not sure how to make a sub bass, James... tips?

(using Reason)

Subtractor all the way for sub!
Use sin wave and set the lp filter low, so you can only hear low bass, the quality of your speakers is kinda important, i use headphones when producing personally.
Play with resonance and lfo's at different frequencies.
You should think about using eq to cut the low end of the whole track, i find this makes it sound cleaner as it doesnt 'muffle up' your drums.

Hope this rant helps..

Do it for me? :confused:

Only kidding, I'll have a nose when I have some free time again. If you can provide any links to vids or tut's, please feel free to PM me.

Your bass is fine, lower the octaves, put the cents back to zero(so you have no motion). Strap and EQ on that baby, peak one of the paramteris at 100hz, and drop the high shelf! Job done :)

~Edit

Also with your bass notes you might find it sounds nicer with different notes, a good way to start a tune is to do the bass first because you can manipulate high end so much easier! Certain bass notes will tremble so sweetly you'll wanna spunk everywhere, but others will not match. Pick your notes carefully! peace

Last edited:
Nice effort man...

With regards to the bassline, try this... Open a malstrom, turn the second wave on and set them both to sine. Turn the octave on both of them down 2 clicks then add an equalizer. Turn on the low band, and turn the gain up until you're happy with the sound.
I found that using "Dual Band Compression" from the Reason Factory Soundbank in the main combinator adds a lot to the basslines. You can then also eQ the bassline from here too.

You can then go on to adding other effects/delay etc to the bassline as and when you wish. Give it a go, I hope this helps you. =]

Easy.
-dubC-

Back
Top Bottom