My first post here

Discussion in 'New Talent & Track Reviews' started by Meloz, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Meloz

Meloz Member

Hey guys, this is my first post here and I was just wondering what you thought of this:

http://www.soundout.com/SoundOutPla...d)&stream=SoundOutV2/413288/324812-413288.mp3

Its a work in progress at the moment and no mastering has been done on it so it's a little quiet. Its quite a commercial sounding track with an interesting intro :)

Would be great if you could let me know what you think / areas of improvement.

Cheers.

2. prettyherb

prettyherb O I

Intro is nice man, but i'm not so into that wobble that kicks in in the main part. It could be nice, but it gives a bit too much agressive feeling for me. Also check ur kick, make it come through nicely. I'm sure this track can become something nice, the melody gives me a happy feeling!

3. Meloz

Meloz Member

Cheers for the response, I always have issues with my kicks! Think I might sidechain it on the break as well as the sub. Reckon I should roll off some of the high end of that wobble bass make it a bit smoother?

4. prettyherb

prettyherb O I

Jep, and maybe some reeverb and chorus... And sidechain the sub under the kick, and maybe also the break like u say. Don't change the snare, it sounds good for me though :)

5. Meloz

Meloz Member

Yeah the snare is sidechained on the break but the kick isnt. Ive done little processing on the wobble bass so I will check that out tonight. Im running it on a 10 year old PC at the mo so it's struggling a bit to say the least, have to bounce everything to audio just to play the damn thing!

Thanks again!

6. bulletstorm

bulletstorm Member

all the elements sound pretty good to me.
    If you master it properly I bet will turn out very good.

7. Meloz

Meloz Member

Cheers, I have been thinking about sending it off for mastering but I don't feel it's good enough yet. Its a bit difficult for me to judge because I have no monitoring speakers at the mo, this tune was mixed completely in my headphones. Do you think it's too toppy and harsh in the high end? Think I might turn the breaks down a bit as it could cause issues in mastering?

Cheers

8. lostnthesound

lostnthesound Burns Easily in the Sun

Sounding good in the headphones is a good first step. Check out the track on a couple different systems (car audio, home system, iPhone, etc.) to give you an idea of who the sounds are being transmitted in the mix. Mastering will definitely help smooth out a lot of the parts. But the key to a solid master is to submit a quality pre-mastered mixdown.

Cheers man, keep up the good work.

9. Meloz

Meloz Member

10. equilibrium

equilibrium Member

awesome intro.

synth should be louder in the beginning but i love how it fades in.

those snares in the buildup are fucking true.

check out slate fg-x mastering plugin if you're trying to find something to boost your volume and add some mastering compression.

the lfo bass is a little too intense. but damn, you're making a really nice track. hope you get after it.

best,

R

---------- Post added at 16:59 ---------- Previous post was at 16:52 ----------

i might get a triplet lfo rate on that wobble and add some chorus and distortion to it

11. Meloz

Meloz Member

Cheers for the response, I think I will send it off for professional mastering at some point. On the pre-master the kick was more prominent in the mix, I think gets a little lost in the version above (I have very little mastering experience so probably screwed it up at some point in the chain!).

Thanks all for the responses.