my first new track in a year

djdizzy

between work and life getting in the way, i haven't had time to work on much music in a long time. i just finished a track though and would love to get any feedback from you guys. it's in my sig below.

I really miss the weight, lacks subbass. And if I were you i'd add some reverb on the snare the make it more rolling and make the snare a bit more punching in the mids. (I hear especially the splashy-ness).
Maybe add some vocal hooks? just before the drop or so.

Melody is cool, I like this sorta liquid/dancefloor track, listened it all the way. It's also the style of DnB I produce :)

Anyways keep this up, it is already on the right way.

hi, nice track, agree to battletek. overall sounds isn't too bad all flows well. to my taste i would change the hihats (EQ, filter?), they seem to eat up much space in the mix. the break sound well done, mate! the chord melody isn't my cup of tea, maybe you can add some weirdness or effect to it .. but not sure it would match your plan for this track. PS: yes, add some vocals ! :)

great feedback, thank you both for your input!

really good input on the snare especially about a short reverb. the sub bass was something i went back and forth on a few times. the sub bass took up alot of headroom so i lowered it around -2db and limited it in hopes of making up the difference so it wouldn't seem so quiet. one thing is that some of the notes are really low with the sub bass, maybe too low. some of the notes don't come through on my 6.5" monitors but it comes through perfectly through headphones. i did re-do the notes for the sub bass but in retrospect i should've completely re-arranged the notes. the problem was, at a couple phrases i got intricate with the sub bass melody and i didn't want to lose that. it's funny that through most speakers it'd end up lost anyway because if it being on the quiet-side and also being a little too low.

i know, basses are so difficult to do .. it eats up much of my production time, too. here is an advice for sound-check which i found useful for myself. one pair of speaker is simply not enough .. i test my tracks after upload to SC on at least 3-5 speaker sets. big, small, open, head, car, indoor/outdoor .. everything I can get hold of. every time the track sounds different. i test listen to each part of the track in the specific environment, if some part isn't as planned i think about how to change using only this speaker when working on the track .. just my 2 cents worth .. :)

I think your highs, mids and bass are off balance. Clear mix but get the bass up a bit more and the synths down a bit less. Clear mix though.
Good to see you making tracks again.

Thanks IV4 ;) I did something much different with this one, I used LCR mixing which I don't usually do. I always keep the stereo field in mind but never used LCR before because the sound tends to vary way too much between different speakers/headphones. It sounds great in my wife's car, sounds crap in mine, it doesn't mono very well so club speakers would be bla (the hard-panned supersaw gets quiet when the track is mono). Anyway I mono'ed the midrange bass and hard-panned the supersaws. I usually pan counter-melodies, etc, a little to the side but not as drastic as LCR and its hard-panning. This will probably be the last time I do LCR and will go back to my usual method of mixing the stereo field rather than hard-panning leads.

Back
Top Bottom