My first mix

herojuana

hairy kuala
VIP Junglist
http://soundcloud.com/genrel/first-mix

as it says. my first mix, not listened to it yet as I gotta rush to work, but I figure even if it's shit i should post it. feedback is always good, and I will never be happy enough to post it after listening to it

DJ Fresh - Signal
>> DJ Fresh - The Gatekeeper
Engage - Above the clouds
Break feat. Die - Slow Down
Spectrasoul feat. Kenny Knots - The four points
Serum and Bladerunner - Who jah bless
Spectrasoul - Alibi (Break remix)
Triad - Fiasco
Enei - One chance
Lenzman feat. Riya - Open page

I went with the name GenRel as a throw back to reggae ranking names, and also it is a logical description of general relativity i studied for my dissertation, nice and geeky eh.

Enjoy or not as the case may be, feedback appreciated.

Ta,
Sam

Are people not allowed to speak freely about Hull where you're from jwood? Do you live in fear hmmmmm?

General Rel sounds good although unfortunately you've abbreviated to sound like a gay french house music producer. Either way I'm sure this is history in the making Hero.

Pon the dizzle.

Are people not allowed to speak freely about Hull where you're from jwood?

the nearest you get is the madman that wanders up my street screaming at lamp posts. otherwise free speech is a big no no.

sam what did you use to record mate? its quite muffled is all

audacity and a shitty usb sound card. yeah sounds pretty gash eh.

sorry to ruin your ears with that mix too, just listened back and it was terrible. Not really happy with any of it until fiasco onwards (the mix into fiasco isn't ideal at all eh). oh well, at least that is the monkey off my back and something posted. will get round to recording a better mix soon when I am not running out of time for work (y)

tune selection is really nice, got a good vibe going, just need to tighten up the ol beatmatching is all.

your very close in some places, just need to get used to knowing which way to adjust - all practice man, keep at it (y)

that triad tune is big as well

edit: last mix is large mate, they sound class together

Last edited:
ur ideas are wicked. you've mastered where to place tracks perfectly! eq work was good too, 4 points and who jan bless in particular.
as J said ur beatmatching needs some tightening. one chance and open page were perfect tho.
practice and more practice. record as ur practice too, really helps. i used to wear the crap out of cassettes recording and re-recording over them again.
master the beat riding technique. it took me ages to get it down and i still get lazy with it.
however the better u get at it the less time ur adjusting the pitch and u can give more attention to ur mixer.

hit us with another mix soon mate.

Agree with everything Teddy says really. Ambitious mixes and a nice vibe so it bodes well. Purely your beat matching that needs fixing...if you lift your headphones up for a second or two and listen through your monitors it can sometimes give you a better idea of whether the beats are right on top of each other or not. Maybe practice with standard two-step beats? Either way practice makes perfect...

I need to record a mix to listen back to.. You use cd or vinyl? Will listen when I'm at a computer

tune selection is really nice, got a good vibe going, just need to tighten up the ol beatmatching is all.

your very close in some places, just need to get used to knowing which way to adjust - all practice man, keep at it (y)

that triad tune is big as well

edit: last mix is large mate, they sound class together

ur ideas are wicked. you've mastered where to place tracks perfectly! eq work was good too, 4 points and who jan bless in particular.
as J said ur beatmatching needs some tightening. one chance and open page were perfect tho.
practice and more practice. record as ur practice too, really helps. i used to wear the crap out of cassettes recording and re-recording over them again.
master the beat riding technique. it took me ages to get it down and i still get lazy with it.
however the better u get at it the less time ur adjusting the pitch and u can give more attention to ur mixer.

hit us with another mix soon mate.

Agree with everything Teddy says really. Ambitious mixes and a nice vibe so it bodes well. Purely your beat matching that needs fixing...if you lift your headphones up for a second or two and listen through your monitors it can sometimes give you a better idea of whether the beats are right on top of each other or not. Maybe practice with standard two-step beats? Either way practice makes perfect...

cheers for the feedback guys, really appreciate it. I hadn't realised how bad the beat matching is before i upped it, but hey ho. nothing is gonna stop me practicing. I do like the track selection in this though, may re record it see if it comes out better.

I need to record a mix to listen back to.. You use cd or vinyl? Will listen when I'm at a computer

vinyl all the way pal. and a shitty usb sound card has sound quality that leaves something to be desired. get a mix up pal, would be good to listen to it. and good to see you on friday as well geez

vinyl all the way pal. and a shitty usb sound card has sound quality that leaves something to be desired. get a mix up pal, would be good to listen to it. and good to see you on friday as well geez

yeah you too mate gonna find a means of recording lol

Back
Top Bottom