My First Mix

DJHarri

Hi Guys,

Thought I would share with you my first recorded Drum & Bass mix. One channel is slighty quieter than the other but aside from that I think I went alright. Would love some feedback of any kind, so have a listen and let me know what you think. Harry

Tracklist:

Nero - Electron
S.P.Y - By Your Side (Logistics Remix)
Danny Byrd - We Can Have It All (Sigma Remix)
Netsky - I Refuse (Shock One Remix)
Muffler - Uplifter
Loadstar - Remember
Muffler -Everything
Wildlife Collective - Bad Bwoy
S.P.Y - Go With The Flow
Bcee & S.P.Y - Is Anybody Out There?
B-Complex - Beautiful Lies VIP
B-Complex - Rolling With The Punches
Spor - Aztek
Delta Heavy - Space Time
Camo & Krooked - Can't Get Enough
Nero - Me & You (Dirtyphonics Remix)

ez mate,
first off if u think one channel is quieter than the other, this is no problem. what i do is adjust the gain of each track before i play it. drop the needle on the main part of the track with all the eq's at 12 oclock and make sure ur db lights on ur mixer are not hitting the red but the light below it. in theroy this should ensure they will play at a similar loudness.

onto ur mix, yeah its pretty good, especially for ur first recorded one. the sound quality in general is a little dull and muffled, what you using to record it? try recording a snippet of one tune and tweak the settings till u get an outcome ur happy with then use those settings to record the whole thing.

i noticed a lot of ur incoming mixes are during the breakdown of the previous tune. switch it up a lil to keep it interesting.
also try to avoid mixes vocals together 99 times out of 100 it will sound gash.

B-Complex - Rolling With The Punches >> Spor - Aztek was cool, sounded nice together. cut off rolling with the punches a lil harshly but other than that it sounded cool!

Delta Heavy - Space Time >> Camo & Krooked - Can't Get Enough was good, a lil bit wobbly on the beat matching and again it was cut off harsly, try to keep your transitions smooth, use the eqs and volume fader as ur weapons of choice.

Thanks for taking the time to comment mate :) exactly what I wanted.

Unfortunatley one channel coming out my mixer seems to always be quieter, infact the quiet channel is actually turned up 1 and a bit levels higher than the louder one and is still quieter. Don't really know why, but my mate has the same mixer (DJX750) and he has the same problem. Could it be something to do with one needle being faulty/worn?

I am using a UFO202 audio interface to record it straight from my mixer into audacity. I couldn't quite get the high quality I wanted, bass was always too loud. But your right, I need to record little pieces and just fiddle with the levels and settings until I get the sound I want.

I definitley need to learn to use the channel faders and eq's more effectively. For the whole mix I only crossfaded and faded the bass in and out. And yeh, I always found mixing in a song at the breakdown was easier, basically because the track that is playing has a lot less noise and interference going on. I will have to start messing around at different times in the track and seeing if I can bring a track in at a different time. The B-complex/Spor and Delta Heavy/ C&K were my favourite too I really enjoyed messing around with those seeing how they could work together.

Once again thanks for the feedback. It's time for me to buy some new vinyls and get practising again :)

Harry

Unfortunatley one channel coming out my mixer seems to always be quieter, infact the quiet channel is actually turned up 1 and a bit levels higher than the louder one and is still quieter. Don't really know why, but my mate has the same mixer (DJX750) and he has the same problem. Could it be something to do with one needle being faulty/worn?

could definitely be this

Back
Top Bottom