DnB My first Drum and Bass attempt. FEEDBACK PLEASE and THANK YOU.

What db are your sounds?
I would guess an off beat side chain bass would go well with that lead.
Cool intro any way.

I'm finding it hard to introduce the bass and maintain a flow. Any tips for making a breakdown/drop or verse? Also I noticed my kicks are very drowned out, how might I go about making them shine?

You can sidechain them with different instruments so that the other instruments duck down in volume when the kick plays.

Dunno, but I was disappointed when it didn't drop, so some of it must have worked at the very least.

Just my opinion, but I would suggest either changing the chords/some notes, or taking off the detune. It musically bothers me, but sometimes it can sound really good too. your call. :)
The build up at the end is good

Thanks for the comment! Yea the chords definitely need to be reworked. They aren't catchy enough. I'm not the best with that though. I'm glad you like build I think that's where I ended spending the most time, just trying to get it right.
Just my opinion, but I would suggest either changing the chords/some notes, or taking off the detune. It musically bothers me, but sometimes it can sound really good too. your call. :)
The build up at the end is good

The reason I ask abou the decibals if you watch them closely and keep them low like around -12 or -13 in the drop and keep them lower in the intro you do not have to fight the harshness of volume.
An off beat is not the down beat in the count.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Odd numbers are down beats
Even numbers are off beats
Here is an example of a side chain off beat bass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdgbI17JbII

So I spent practically all of last night trying to EQ my kicks and snares but I didnt really get anywhere. Im really trying to make my druns shine. I'm using abletons EQ eight. Anybody know anything that can help with that? Also, I'm trying to sidechain my bass to the kicks so the bass dips when the kicks hit but I must be doing something wrong cause it sounds like absolute shit. I have a sub and lead bass. Anything you guys have that could help is greatly appreciated.

Hit up artfx send him or me. fletch a message and ask about how to side chain better. Also look up artfx's tutorial tuesdays he teaches how to get a kick sitting better. I wish I could help more but I use reason.

So my Mac crashed, the logic board failed and I didn't have a comp for almost 2 months. But I got it back and now I have 2 studio moniters and a MIDI keyboard so finally I don't have to use my mouse! Anyway, thanks for the feedback so far and I hope you guys can answer some questions for me.

Hit up artfx send him or me. fletch a message and ask about how to side chain better. Also look up artfx's tutorial tuesdays he teaches how to get a kick sitting better. I wish I could help more but I use reason.

yeah this intro is pretty good! subprime is right, is was disappointed to not hear a drop, so you must be doing something proper...

with kick drums, the meat is usually between 65-120Hz, depending on the kick sample and the tune. try to make a subtle wide boost here, start by making the boost too intense so you can easily hear where the chest thumping part of your sample is. dial it back to taste. Another thing often overlooked is that kicks need high end too! this is the part that will cut through your mix. we usually end up with a boost somewhere between 8k-10k, but only if your sample has the higher end already there. if not, layer up a kick sound that has a cleaner, crisper high end.

we also usually use a little compression, but at a lot of stages. So we bus all kicks to their own aux channel, and add compression there. choose your own settings but usually we end up with about 0.5-1.0db gain reduction here. then send all drums out of their own aux (sending the kick bus, snare bus, breaks bus - everything - to there), and adding light compression here as well (probably 1.0-1.5db gain reduction). further, we will send some signal to a parallel compression bus that has a heavy compressor on it - like, ridiculous heavy. it's up to you where the signal comes from, but we always route at least a portion of the main kicks and snares to this bus, but you could also just route a portion of the "all drums" bus. once you send some signal, turn the fader all the way down, and gradually bring it in until you like the sound. you should start to hear your drums get much punchier/stronger as you bring this fader in. if you haven't done this before, it may take a few tries.

my only suggestion for your bass sidechain - without hearing any audio - is that the goal of sidechaining your bass doesn't always have to be to make it audibly duck. sometimes it works to increase the compression until you hear the bass duck, and then back off just a bit. this will provide a bit of room for the kick without taking a lot of intensity from your bassline.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom