My first DnB track. Feedback seriously appreciated :-)

DJ-Jimpy

Hey People,

I am new here and have just done my first DnB track. My roots were SS's night 'Total Kaos' in Leicester where I lived every week back around 1992 / 93 until I moved to Cardiff. I have been quite succesful producing prog house tracks which found their way on to some big name dj comps from Sasha & PVD. However, recently I decided for a bit of fun to mash-up some DnB samples and this is what I ended up with.

Track - Jimpy 'Afraid' (Original Fithy DnB Mix)

I know I am supposed to put the style, but in all honesty I dunno what you DnB chaps would call this, but I would say it's a techi, filthy, metallic rollin number but I don't think that's a genre yet :)

http://soundcloud.com/jimpy/afraid-d-b-filthy-orginal-mix

Would love any kind of feedback as to whether this is close to hitting the mark, how it could be improved etc. I am totally out of touch with the DnB scene! Oh and my claim to DnB fame is that I used to serve the man like High Contrast choons in Catapult Records way back when I worked there and he was just a placid chap starting his awesome adventure! What a producer!!

Laterzz... Jimpy :)

Last edited:
When you say your roots were at Total Kaos, did you play there? or just go as a punter?

as for the tune; not keen on your bass. Its too short and stabby for me.
The structure of the tune seems out too, do you listen to much dnb?

OK, thanks for your comments guys although I'm not quite sure what type of house sounds like that? I don't listen to much DnB, so really did this completely blind just for a bit of fun.

No I didn't play at Total Kaos, I was a weekly punter. It was where I started out on my musical journey. Was a truly special place for me and my mates back then :)

Honestly not my cup because it's so hyper souding, 'but'.... I can appreciate the time spent into lining up all these different sounds into one "phrase" so to speak.

I like 1:56ish.... neat lil brkdwn. It's that one stabby, metallic sound that ruins it for me. Personally I'd use something else to fill that space.

My impression is that this would work well for a movie scene that was emphasizing chaos.... perhaps a movie about drugs or life in the fast lane.

penny
penny

Hi Guys, once again thanks for your feedback. I'm not actually looking to become a DnB producer, I just enjoy mashing up sounds, producing tracks and seeing where the mood takes. On this day I went experimental and ended up with this.

Penny, funny you say that about use in a movie as I license all my music to Getty Images, (Pump Audio) where my tracks get licensed for TV, Movies and all kinds of shit.

I think that metallic sound you mention may have popped into my head from Tiesto Flight 643 which still rocks the trance floor :)

Cheers, Jimp

Back
Top Bottom