My first DnB track - Feedback seriously appreciated :-)

DJ-Jimpy

Hey People,

I am new here and have just done my first DnB track. My roots were SS's night 'Total Kaos' in Leicester where I lived every week back around 1992 / 93 until I moved to Cardiff. I have been quite succesful producing prog house tracks which found their way on to some big name dj comps from Sasha & PVD. However, recently I decided for a bit of fun to mash-up some DnB samples and this is what I ended up with.

http://soundcloud.com/jimpy/afraid-d-b-filthy-orginal-mix

Would love any feedback as I am totally out of touch with the DnB scene. Oh and my claim to DnB fame is that I used to serve the man like High Contrast choons in Catapult Records way back when I worked there and he was just a placid chap starting his awesome adventure! What a producer!!

Laterzz... Jimpy :)

Hey People,

I am new here and have just done my first DnB track. My roots were SS's night 'Total Kaos' in Leicester where I lived every week back around 1992 / 93 until I moved to Cardiff. I have been quite succesful producing prog house tracks which found their way on to some big name dj comps from Sasha & PVD. However, recently I decided for a bit of fun to mash-up some DnB samples and this is what I ended up with.

http://soundcloud.com/jimpy/afraid-d-b-filthy-orginal-mix

Would love any feedback as I am totally out of touch with the DnB scene. Oh and my claim to DnB fame is that I used to serve the man like High Contrast choons in Catapult Records way back when I worked there and he was just a placid chap starting his awesome adventure! What a producer!!

Laterzz... Jimpy :)

Haha what a record mate, for that I will give a listen...

Tho there's a new talent and track review forum for independent tracks, take note for future reference!

Well I gave that track a listen and while it didnt blow me away, it had some interesting points.

1. You clearly have a house background, combining elements to rhythms that no strictly dnb head would do. While this is fresh, it makes the track sound more like a breaks tune sped up, and this track would be hard to mix into a set.
2. As I said, you use rhythm very creatively in comparison to the current drum and bass 'scene'. This can help you. This sounds too much like a house producer gone haywire than a smooth operator that combines the best of both worlds.
3. The production, engineering and mixdown are pretty good from my point of view, you obviously know what knobs to twist in that respect.

If you come up with any chilled out*, liquid* or deep* pieces of dnb vs house I'd really like to hear that.

* Whatever that might mean to you

Back
Top Bottom