My 1st attempt at Liquid DNB

Discussion in 'New Talent & Track Reviews' started by djdizzy, May 14, 2014.

1. djdizzy

djdizzy Active Member

This is a song I spent several months working on, then "finished" it a couple months ago. Well, I went back and revised it, made some changes then re-uploaded it. I usually make sorta trancey dnb tracks so this song was my first stab at liquid. I used a Virus TI, Massive, and Lounge Lizard. Feedback appreciated :)

2. Solace

Solace Active Member

the bass reminds me of some Netsky song, not sure which one...
    The track is ok, but it feels a bit empty (although I know there are enough instruments and such)
    Create a sub maybe, nice in the middle of your mix (because the bass now is stereo I feel)
    And take the noises individually more interesting, some of the pads feel too airy and all over the place
    Also, the drop came out of nowhere... Atleast get some sweeps going or some slide of some kind

djdizzy likes this.
  3. IV4

IV4 Currently a newt.

60 views and only one reply. We are slacking here. I should not talk shit though. I have not been replying all that much here.

Any way your track.
    That bass is wow. I think it is ever so slightly to loud. When it hits a certain main note it really resonates. The drums sound nice. In fact the song as a whole is wonderful. The melody on the top is not out of place but I think it could use some mild distortion effects to color them or modulation. Not to much just a little they sound good already.

djdizzy likes this.
  4. SuBKA

SuBKA Member

It's pretty good imo and i can agree to the Netsky similatities, the bassline reminds me of his track "Daydreaming" a bit, which is a good thing! (y)
    The kick could have a little more impact though and a sub bass between 40 and 80 Hz would really add a lot i think :)

djdizzy likes this.
  5. djdizzy

djdizzy Active Member

thanks for the replies and input!

one problem i had was trying to get sub bass with this modulated bass. alot of the character of the modulated bass is at 80-150hz, i tried putting a hi-pass filter at a few different frequencies with a few different slopes but i'd have to end up hi-passing so low that there wouldn't be much headroom left for the sub bass track. it was tricky as hell, so in the end i ended up boosting the modulated bass' sub frequencies and calling it a day. i tried everything i could think of to try to make my sub and the modulated bass play nice together :\

6. Solace

Solace Active Member

Did you try splittingvthe bass? That should do the trick..

7. Mormok

Mormok New Member

Bass sounds very nice, the pads at the start need a bit of work besides that I think its sounds pretty good. Nice work !