Musical education

H-Star

Hello everyone!

I am a beginning producer, been sticking around FL for two years. Made some progress with the quality of my tracks, but still it is very painful to hear my melodies. I think that all of them have the same base, like, they sound all alike...

I have no musical education, no nothing bout the theory and don't play any instruments. How is it in your case? How do the 1337 scene producers are with music theory?

Please share your experience, I would be very grateful

I have absolutely no musical education at all, same as you. Cant play any instruments etc etc. Have no idea about musical theory or note scales. But I manage to get through ok. As far as I'm concerned, sure being educated in music will always be helpful, but mostly you should just trust your ears.

You can get some basic grade 1 & 2 theory tutorials online im sure

Its not too complex, jus needing to understand key signatures and the structure of certain scales

just have a hunt about :)

I want to learn music.
Please can you give me the complete detail for education.

Which instrument you will teach???

It is very, very useful to have a full comprehensive knowledge of music theory and more importantly, a firm grasp on harmony. I am a third year college music student and have been playing and studying music since I was three, and I don't see how some of you guys can even try to make music without understanding the concepts? Is it all just hit and miss or guesses?

It is very, very useful to have a full comprehensive knowledge of music theory and more importantly, a firm grasp on harmony. I am a third year college music student and have been playing and studying music since I was three, and I don't see how some of you guys can even try to make music without understanding the concepts? Is it all just hit and miss or guesses?

Not at all. I believe while musical education is extremely useful for producing, it can also limit your abilities. It can narrow your overall perception of music. To me, music and my production is an outlet for my imagination and creativity. Because I have no musical education, I have no knowledge of structure, notes, or rules. To me, this means I am free to create whatever I want, in whatever structure I want, breaking the rules as many times as I like. Where as someone with musical education would ponder upon the theory of these rules, and try to obide by them as much they can, limiting your ideas subconsciously. For instance, would you ever put a black C5 note directly after a white C5 note? probably not because you have been tought that it is wrong. But in a drum and bass track, this method works extremely well for basslines!

Anyway, just my two pennies worth. I'm not saying I'm right and your wrong, these are all merely my opinions on the matter. And again, I still believe musical education has it's advantages, I just dont want to limit my imagination to gain these advantages.

It's all trial and error and you're bound to get results as long as you're not tone deaf. :) having a musical background just makes the process a little easier.

I know the real basics of musical notation etc but struggle with the keys of music. I can write melodys and then surround that melody with other sounds that are in key with it but im never 100% sure what key ive written it in until ive checked it out.

i studied music and music technology at school and then college, play many instruments. without this, my technical side of music production would not be what it is now. it all depends tho as without anyone training you, you are able to find your feet in your own way and create music the way you want to create it rather than following somebody elses method. I spent most of my college years in a full protools hd studio working with bands and artists recording demos which was a fantastic one up to get me into producing. have also studied music theory since i was 8 :)

You can't really be taught how to be creative, it's all up to you imo :\ I dunno if it's useful to know any theory, I don't know any theory but I'm getting to grips with FL studio fair enough.

Back
Top Bottom