Music "Tolerance"

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by Rusket, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Rusket

Rusket Mix an blend

something i have been thinking about for a while now. It's how it sounds, just like how you build up a tolerance to drugs. Let's say you smoke/listen strain A (DNB) for 2 weeks straight, then you smoke/listen strain B (hip hop). You would probably get higher if you smoked strain B because you have built up a tolerance to that strain. You can probably see what I am trying to say by now. Do you think music works in a similar way to drugs in terms of tolerance? It seems very interesting how when I wake up in the morning and crank out some tunes they usually sound a lot better (more euphoric?) in the morning compared to the evening?

What is sleep's function on the enjoyment of music? Conversely, sometimes when I have lack of sleep music sounds better?

Opinions/experiences/views, please.

2. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

i think maybe yes, but for me its the extreme-ness of music thats what you need to build the tolerance to, and what makes you into a junkie drug addict.

you wouldnt believe how extreme certain kinds of hip hop is to some people, let alone drum and bass. my taste is so extreme, so alt, i have come full circle and really think its thugged out to listen to early 2004 radio hits now, having come from the most abstract jazz, dark ambient, brutal black metal, i now think black eyed peas "lets get retarded" is rad.

3. Dark Lizardro

Dark Lizardro The Lizard that has a hammer Staff Member

I thinks this is pretty personal. I also have a huge plethora of genres that I like, and some genres (or sub-genres) that I'm simply ok to listen to. For example, I would be ok listening to hip-hop at a party, but when on my own, it's not the first genre I choose to listen to.

What you said about music being more "euphoric" in the mornings could be related to your ears being "rested" from the time you were sleeping. This opinion of mine is based on my own experience, when I'm producing.

4. Rusket

Rusket Mix an blend

yes, it seems much more likely that it is the brain that is resting/resetting/re-sensitising. I am very interested in psychology and would like to know if other people have similar experiences.

5. Dark Lizardro

Dark Lizardro The Lizard that has a hammer Staff Member

Then, my answer is yes, I do. I normally go to work listening to music, lately to lots of dnb. I believe people in the subway must think I'm some kind of autistic person, as I keep bangin my head while listening. This, however, does not occur when I'm returning home. Also, rarely I listen to music (unless I'm producing) at night, during the week. It just feels boring.

Rusket likes this.
  6. Entrada

Entrada Member

I think its a matter of "I need to listen to this song right now", but it also has to do with your environment and what you think best suits that environment. So if im chilling at home or studying i would probably put on some liquid, but not always, sometimes neurofunk/drumstep softly in the background does good as well. So I think it has to do with environment+craving+mood.

7. Dagz

Dagz Well-Known Member

I don't care what anyone says smoking weed bring's out your musical senses

8. danwell

danwell BAAAAAAAAAAAAABE WAIT

I want to do lots of drugs

9. Shatner's Bosom

Shatner's Bosom murder TANMUSHIMUSHI

[​IMG]

Rusket and RUSSLA like this.