Multi Genre Music Theory

Discussion in 'Production' started by MaartenJ, Sep 19, 2011.

1. MaartenJ

MaartenJ New Member

Hi,

My first post on this nice Forum, I would like to learn music theory. I play an instrument and I had music theory when I was young but it isn't the theory that I would like to learn. I would like to know what everything means and what effect you get with it while using something like FL, Ableton, Reason, ... Like reverb, LFO, Sine wave, square wave, decay, attack, release, Pitch, course, High end, etc and how to produce sounds. Some people here on the forum hear a sound and they just say: yeah it is a sine wave with those settings. Can someone give me some tips, or even books in English or Dutch, on how to do that. Or is it just experience? Btw, I have some basics with producing software, but I just can't create something on my own :s

Thank you,

Btw: English is not my native language.

I use ableton.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  2. Rezonate

Rezonate Member

Check this out http://www.filmland.com/glossary/Dictionary.html#R

Next best method decide which DAW you want to start writing in and read the manual!

---------- Post added at 19:38 ---------- Previous post was at 19:36 ----------

This also has a few more explanations. Search around google with various phrases such as music production glossary. You will find loads if stuff

http://eddy.nps.edu/IDDR/audioTips/audioTips_glossary.html

3. MaartenJ

MaartenJ New Member

I use ableton, thank you for the link.

4. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

I think alot of it comes down to experience. I always used to wonder how people on here could listen to a sound and pretty much pinpoint exactly how to make it. But now I've had more experience in music production, I can kinda do that too, not all the time, but mostly. It just comes with understanding what noise different soundwaves make, and how to manipulate them

As for what the different terminologies are, you will also learn this over time.