music theory

blowa

Hi all

I'm trying to improve my music theory as it's poor. i'm trying to break things down a little bit and want to know what key / scales people use to write their dnb tracks?

does it make a lot of difference what key / scale you use?

like I said my music theory is poor!!!

Cheers

First off, i would learn some chords and scales on a piano.

Search for some music theory guides online.

google is your best friend.

and yes it makes quite a bit of difference which keys/scales you use.

Hi

I've learn't some scales and a few chords. I been told how to find out the root note as well. The thing is knowing which scale to use?

the reason I would like to know what others use is so I can stick o that scale / key for a while when writing tunes and improving my synthesis.

What scale do you use the most?

Hi

I've learn't some scales and a few chords. I been told how to find out the root note as well. The thing is knowing which scale to use?

the reason I would like to know what others use is so I can stick o that scale / key for a while when writing tunes and improving my synthesis.

What scale do you use the most?

Use any. It doesnt matter really. What ever is best for you.

but... I wouldn't suggest byzantine, haha!

Last edited:
Cheers kama. I'm already aware of this and im reading through this guide and getting some good knowledge.

What the shit! I made a thread entitled exactly this and somehow i whipped up a shit storm of hate and aggression. lol.

I do. Not enough of it round really.

How would you define what a note is to a lay person tongueflap? I'm just wondering if there's something in the quality of each note that's independant of us...

I only ask because if I hear someone singing flat it affects me in way that I feel is not the result of conditioning.

Last edited:
Basically for a note to sound true it doesnt require us to come to an agreement on it yet they arent the same across cultures so what's going on tongueflap?

Last edited:
I think chords/scales are definitely the key. I find the advice in here good, especially that guide that kama posted. If you are on a Mac platform then I suggest checking out some of the Widgets under the music category, there are some good ones there for chord referencing. Piano Theory in particular I use regularly, it offers not only chord references but also a variety of scale references too.

I'm curious about the application of chord progessions in dnb, which sounds pretty monotonic to me. Should you do something like the following:

1.decide on a chord progression
2. pick bassline notes from the chords (not necessarily the root)
3. pick other notes from the chords for use by a lead instrument (or instruments)

This way, the chords would be more implied by the combination of instruments, rather than played by a single instrument (like on a guitar). Or am I completely off the mark?

Like for instance, if you have a chord, which then changes to a 7th, you bring in a (monophonic) new sound that's playing that 7th note...?

I'm curious about the application of chord progessions in dnb, which sounds pretty monotonic to me. Should you do something like the following:

1.decide on a chord progression
2. pick bassline notes from the chords (not necessarily the root)
3. pick other notes from the chords for use by a lead instrument (or instruments)

This way, the chords would be more implied by the combination of instruments, rather than played by a single instrument (like on a guitar). Or am I completely off the mark?

Like for instance, if you have a chord, which then changes to a 7th, you bring in a (monophonic) new sound that's playing that 7th note...?

Yeah man, you can do that. Try some 6ths and 9ths (2nd note up an octave) Also don't be afraid to try some passing notes that aren't in the scale, or learn some of the modes and use them for a riff.

Just don't lose sight of the fact, if it sounds good it is good.

Thanks Groelle. I'll start reading...

I have to say I had no idea that scales were linked to different moral characters.

Back
Top Bottom