Music Production at University

Discussion in 'Production' started by DJVendetta, Mar 17, 2011.

1. DJVendetta

DJVendetta Member

I'm considering going to University to study Music Production and was wondering if anyone else has had experience with this?
    I can't motivate myself very well to spend hours every day learning at home and maybe I'd learn faster if I was at university? Although they won't teach how to make DnB so I'll still have to teach myself most things.

I've recently finished A-levels so I was thinking of applying for Sep '12.

Thoughts?

2. luciduk

luciduk Active Member

i havnt been to university yet, but im willing to put money down that going to university wont make you good at writing dnb, progressing skills to most people means sitting in a home studio for months going on years, success being the sum of small victories made day in day out. if you go to university i would imagine you will be writing so many assignments and such you dont have time to write dnb

thats just my 2 cents

3. Thin and crispy

Thin and crispy Active Member

in every interview with every producer i've ever watched and read where the matter of studying music is regarded... the general consesus is do it. those who did are glad and those who didnt kinda wished they had.
    You learn more about musical theory and the legal aspect of the industry, and the industry itself.
    In my personal opinion any professionaly taught aspect of music would be invaluable wether it directly relates to drum n bass or not

---------- Post added at 11:33 ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 ----------

Also agreed. Alot of it can be self taught but as you say OP its all about learning in the environment your most comfortable with... Theres also the advantage of finding like minded people at university which may help with the motivation. Either way you look at it theres no quick route to success!
    Personaly i find toiling infront my daw the fun part lol

4. luciduk

luciduk Active Member

yeah i think the nightlife and meeting people (contacts) is the main reasons i would want to go to uni

5. richie_stix

richie_stix gomby plz

both valid points... if i had the money, and didnt have to work full time etc etc i would love to go to uni and study this! i know for a fact that i wouldnt have dossed half as much as i did when i did graphics at uni, id be in the studio as soon as it opened, leaving when it closed! and brown-nosing the lecturer all the while with my mature student keeness to learn (y)

but with the price of uni these days you gotta ask yourself, is a job/carreer in music waiting at the end of it? do you think it have what it takes, to risk 6K a year to study something that is a hobby? and, as the addage goes... a man who makes his hobby a career needs a new hobby ;)

personally, i found since coming on this forum my production has massivly gotten better, thanks to, as lucid said, small victories day in day out. This is what works for me though... you might prefer the structured learning environment and investing around 18K in fees might motivate you to do well and land some kind of carreer at the end (be it creative stuff like actually making tunes, or technical, like mastering and the such)?

6. DJVendetta

DJVendetta Member

It's just that I really want to do it, but at the moment learning seems like a chore (When it should be fun), so maybe going to uni is the push I need and I'll also learn music theory and other things which would help me. I want to pursue it as a career so I'd rather go to uni and learn it than get a crap job and learn in my spare time (which I know I wouldn't)

Another question that I have is; How the hell to producers make money? I know they DJ now and then but is that really enough for rent/food/etc? Music sales aren't much are they?

7. EvezDroppin

EvezDroppin how to change name,......

making dnb is never really going to fund u for that mate, if ur struggling to enjoy writing some beats uni is definately not the thing u need.
    going to make it even more a chore!!
    in my opinion, do something at uni, that is going to benefit u career wise.
    like im currently on an apprenticeship but eventually when im fully qualified if i ever lost my job id go structural engineering at uni cos thats going to bring in the doh and where i work, not necesarily because its my passion.
    dnt get me wrong, id love to do music at uni, but i have that part of my brain like richie said asking if its worth 6k a year debt.

8. Thin and crispy

yeah ritchie thats what im thinking, coming straight out of a-levels its sometimes easier to continue in that form of structured education, i always slacked school off n did my own thing as much as i could, so long as i maintained decent results i did as little as possible cos i was always more interested in doing things myself, so teaching myself and things like this forum were a kind of natural progression for me!

9. DJVendetta

DJVendetta Member

The thing is, I don't really want to do anything else. I don't want a 'normal' job.
    Do most producers have jobs on the side?

I also think going to uni will help me meet like-minded people and I could get a regular DJing spot which is what I want.

10. richie_stix

richie_stix gomby plz

tbh mate... even 'big' djs and producers still work shitty 9-5's! which is why, if you wana do it at uni, make it vocational... ie do a course that a BSC (batchelor of science) than BA (batchelor of arts), that could teach you the skills you need to work in some kind of studio (be it recording, mastering, film, tv etc etc)

and as said, if you find it a chore now, it'll be more of a chore at uni (y)

11. Thin and crispy

i find a massive difference between writing and learning even tho they go hand in hand 90% of the time. The trick is finding the material that makes it interesting for you. I always enjoy making something but learning how to make it isn't always fun, u gotta find something that relates with you. Can't you do a taster?

12. luciduk

luciduk Active Member

:word:

13. DJVendetta

DJVendetta Member

I think the thing I need is a friend or someone that already produces to help me out or let me 'watch' them while they do it because I learn better from seeing how things work rather than trial and error by myself.

14. Thin and crispy

depends how you see it, i'd say the majority do label work, run record shops, or studios... things that are industry related. some are lucky enough to go off their bookings and royalties alone, infact depending on which lifestyle you choose to live this is achievable if your willing to spend your weekends awake up and down the country :p

---------- Post added at 12:19 ---------- Previous post was at 12:13 ----------

as i said find whats comfortable for you... try and get on a taster course at uni, find a friend who produces, hell you could even ring around studio's and ask for volentary work / an apprenticeship, if you live near places like that or are willing to travel, and they are probably alot more open minded than you'd expect! even if it means making a cuppa for some guy who's just breaking thru haha

15. Freek

Freek Lets get freeeeeeky

Callide is doing home learning courses, where he comes to your house and teaches you everything you want to know on your own setup with your own daw. Such a good idea and i no he's had a lot of bookings already but if interested just hit him up on fb "Callide System Shock"

16. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

Dude if you live anywhere near me I'd be more than happy to meet up and show you some stuff!

17. DJVendetta

DJVendetta Member

Thanks, I'll add him.

Wow, thanks, I live in North Wales though unfortunately.

18. Phat_Sam

Phat_Sam Well-Known Member

What ever you do, if you decide to go, choose the right fucking course. I hate mine. Didnt really look into it enough and am just wasting a year because none of the stuff I'm doing interests me at all. Not even on a campus or in halls either so the night life is fucking wank too. I have to bunk up at my gfs uni to get any fun nights out.

CHOOSE THE RIGHT COURSE AT A PLACE YOU KNOW YOU WILL ENJOY!

Can't stress that enough ^^^^

19. Fortune^

Fortune^ ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)

From my experience it's about figuring out what is best for you. I think you'd know in the first term if it was right for you or not and you can always switch to a different course after the first year.

I think that a group of friends can't be underestimated either. I have no training but people in my group of producer mates do, we all make tunes in our spare time with varying success. Also if you're doing a course which is not to heavy (film and media) etc you can find yourself with a lot of free time anyway.

The last thing you want to be doing is hitting up uni only to find that you hate a course because you've got to do stupid assignments which don't even touch upon anything you want to do.

20. Phat_Sam

Phat_Sam Well-Known Member

Haha. Story of my life...