Multiple Compressors

AstarrDnB

right so my question is, if I have a bus of something say a snare or kick, after the fx like eq saturation etc should I put on a compressor to glue the layers of the kick or whatever together and then another one to give it the punch or is this not acceptable? may seem like a stupid question but I'm still learning hahah.

I'm not sure if there is an official ruling or not but I've set things up this way before and used my ears to determine

2 or more is fine if you know what you're doing and what you're trying to achieve.

Simply compression is used to level out peaks, there is no rules when and when not to use them, it purely depends on the source sound.

Learn about compression first then decide for yourself if you need to use it (y)

http://patches.zone/compression-guide/

i usually limit my individual hits before going to the bus, then just slightly take the peaks off of them combined with a limiter after my fx chain. I don't think compression or limiting is necessary but it can just help with a number of things, I use it for headroom and taking the peaks off.

Back
Top Bottom