multiple bass elements

Discussion in 'Production' started by cactopus, May 15, 2011.

1. cactopus

cactopus Producer

sorry for asking a lot of questions, but i am trying to pick all of your brains to answer some questions that i have had since i began producing. i tend to use real instruments or instrument synthesizers, but i am trying to experiment in using ni massive to make basslines, etc. i need help making multiple bass sounds that fit together well (ex. a wobble and a grunting sound side by side without sounding really weird). i can make individual sounds but i'm sure you all know that just having one synthesizer being used in a song can sound boring as hell.

if anyone knows good tutorials or could offer insight, that would be awesome.

2. Krispy

Krispy Member

Reso producer masterclass

WHen I am making bass sounds fit together I will use different bass sounds but the same note. What I mean by this is that if my song is in the key signature F for example I try to keep things in the same key so I might use F for all of my bass notes

3. cactopus

cactopus Producer

do you keep the same exact note through the whole song or do you use bass progressions?

4. Krispy

Krispy Member

you can do either, whatever sounds good

but if you are trying to get 2 different basses to sound good together using the same note will definitely help

same with if you are trying to get your synth to match your bass
    keep it within the same key

learning scales is useful for this i think

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  5. cactopus

cactopus Producer

yeah i've been a guitar/bass player my whole life but i don't know piano scales so it is difficult to use my midi controllers sometimes :p hence me just using actual instruments

6. Krispy

Krispy Member

yeah im no music expert by any means and ive only recently started learning music theory and scales
    however playing things in the same key definitely makes it sound better and this applies to bass sounds

check out the reso production masterclass video, its very helpful with combining different bass sounds

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  7. polymass

polymass @humanowrkshop