Muddy Drums

Phat_Sam

VIP Junglist
Why oh why!?

For some reason, my kicks and snares always sound a lot muddier in comparison with say, a Noisia track or a Heist track. Why is this? I understand that they've obviously had far more experience doing this than I have but at the same time, I think I've tried nearly everything: EQing the kick so there's less bottom end and less in the mids/EQing the snare in the same way/hi passing/low passing/ a large number of filters and loads of different types of compression so WHY in gods name is there still loads of mud around my 80hz - 500hz range?

It's so frustrating!

BASICALLY... anyone got tips on de-muddifying the beats?

obviously i cant make beats like noisia/spor etc so this isnt proffesional advice, but for me atleast drums are one thing i have some clarity with!!

i think the first most important fact to point out is that you can polish a turd, every time i get a new sample pack i realize how shite the old sample packs i used were, sometimes the drums you need just arent possible with the samples you're using (through any amount of processing..) If you think that may be the case then get some better drum samples!!!!

my personal tip tho is to cut the release/length down of all your drum samples and see how it sounds, most times i hear some drums that are weak its because the sample length is too loud and there isnt a strongth enough attack! BAM. its gotta be punchy and soft at the same time, you dig....

EQ/compression/sidechaining/pitching with good samples is all you need.

I know what the problem is here Sam...........

........YOU SUCK!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Seriously though.....Try what Lucid said, cut the tail end off the samples and you'll notice a whole new world of fun!

Yeah all those tracks from the artists you mentioned are really well mastered.
But yeah start off with good samples, like the Vengeance packs for instance.
I found out that the Essential House Volume 2 has real good kicks and snares in it, especially the Hard Kicks folder! ;)
Then always try to layer up more samples by using the bottom end of one sample, the snappy high end from another one and so on.
I most of the time have my hand on the woofer of my monitor to 'feel' the low end vibration, 'cause most of the time you'll be looking for a bassdrum with lots going on in the mids and highs, but just enough in the low end.

Busing your kicks and snares out together is also a must, add on a limiter like Vintage Warmer and get them sounding big!

Don't forget that in good samples packs, kick snares etc... are already compressed and nearly sounds as best as they can.
I found that compression on a kick nearly always distort it, muddying the mix even more.
Don't forget too that a good drum pattern wont do anything on its own. It depends a lot on what is playing with it. Synths etc...
Welcome in the mixing nightmare.

Don't forget that in good samples packs, kick snares etc... are already compressed and nearly sounds as best as they can.
I found that compression on a kick nearly always distort it, muddying the mix even more.
Don't forget too that a good drum pattern wont do anything on its own. It depends a lot on what is playing with it. Synths etc...
Welcome in the mixing nightmare.

well thats not entirely true, depends on if your tune is bass driven or drum driven really?

so excusing the shitty utoob compression, these drums are bare hench in isolation and in the tune!

big tune (y)

Last edited by a moderator:
Try doing some EQing on each sound at around 300-500hz
Also try using an Aux strip with some distortion on it, hi pass it and subtly add it to your drums.

Back
Top Bottom