Mp3 Volume

Runnintingz

Just got some CDJ's, and am having problems in that I am finding mp3 volumes to be very variable. Some so loud you can only have them at like a fifth of the volume of other tracks, and this causes problems, and these are all downloaded from various sites, although not all from the same place. Do sites have their tracks at different volumes?

Do any of you use some sort of gain equalizing program on all your mp3s that you can recommend or something?

are they legal mp3's?
pirate ones will usually sound shit regadless of what birate they are.
try to use 320's anything lower than 192 will sound gash!

using a programme to bump up the sound is possible, but wont help the quality!

The volume of your mp3's depends on the original master file sent from the label to the download site (as long as its legal). The download site just compress them to different formats and put them up. Different tracks will be different volumes just like vinyl and cd so the gain on your mixer will help. Also iTunes has an option when burning CD's to equalize he volume so that they are all the same.
Also there is this software called platinum notes that sorts out your digital files so they are nice. You end up with two files. Your original one and your new one. http://www.platinumnotes.com/

Yer they are (vast majority) legally purchased! I will try the itunes equalizing thing cheers.

I read about some program called mp3gain that doesnt appear to alter the bitrate.. will have a go this afternoon.

One other thing there is no point altering the original bit-rate cus thats what it is. If you have some shit 128kbps mp3 and copy it as a WAV say it may be a WAV but it will have the same shit quality as the original file.

One other thing there is no point altering the original bit-rate cus thats what it is. If you have some shit 128kbps mp3 and copy it as a WAV say it may be a WAV but it will have the same shit quality as the original file.

i remember someone putting a post up about this a while ago explaining about this talking bout eating something shitting it out and then eating it again and it not tasting the same once you eat it again

I use adobe audition to normalise MP3s before I burn them to CD, this takes the peak volume and raises it to 0db (100%), these may still sound quieter as some tunes use heavy limiting.

There are also plenty of free batch normalisers on the internet which just apply this process to all your mp3s, not sure of the quality of those though

I always load any mp3 or WAV that I buy into Adobe Audition to see if the volume level to as it should be.

I've had some that were quiet as fuck so had to amplify them accordingly. Doing this will not affect the quality as long as you save the file in the original format.

Another vote for mp3gain ... just choose a sensible 'level' and press go across a selected folder, it will 'boost' up to the level if it can, don't allow it to clip. You can easily remove the 'modification' it makes as well. Read the documentation as it doesn't actually change anything in the audio part of the file, but changes a setting which the players use (i think!)

Back
Top Bottom